Saturday 19 March 2016

One for the Record Books.

One day to go until the launch of the exhibition. We steeled ourselves for the Final Push. The Gallery still had paintings to hang, the catalogues to finalise, vacuuming and dusting to be done.

Michael began the day putting up additional pictures rails in the Giftshop. I roared around the Gallery with Herman, our faithful vacuum cleaner. Rearranged my desk so guests can help themselves to tea and coffee. Aided Michael in his quest to hang Mandy's two enormous "Dunsborough Bay" paintings in the Giftshop.

We were saved by Carmel and Murray arriving with pate, cheese and crackers and a bottle of wine. And four ceramic sculptures. We had a very pleasant lunch, interspaced with visitors to the Gallery. We waved them goodbye and returned to the job at hand. The afternoon passed. Lawrence's car was kaput, so Michael set off for Perth to collect him.

I persevered with the catalogue and attempted to hang Mandy's smaller pieces. By sheer accident, I managed to hang them all, more or less straight in a line. The only injury was a cut to my finger from picture wire. And I didn't fall off the ladder either...

Sunset. No Michael and Lawrence. I was beginning to worry. Then a phone call from Michael. Kermit's front tyre had shredded on the other side of Avondale. They were changing the tyre. Second phone call. They'd hit a snag. Night had fallen and they had no torch. I drove out and supplied the required illumination. We drove back into town in tandem. I stopped at the pub to collect the vino we'd ordered. Michael and Lawrence stopped at the Gallery. I brought the wine to the Gallery and promptly broke a bottle. Bollocks....

By this time, we were absolutely exhausted. Home for dinner, a spot of television and a few glasses of vino. I crashed before the boys. The only reason I woke during the night was reacting to Michael's movements.

Definitely, an action-packed day to remember.


Warning! Danger, Will Robinson


preparing for next catastrophe...


home at last!



No comments:

Post a Comment