Thursday 24 March 2016

Living the Dream

This morning, another gloomy morning, I hopped out of bed to prepare for a day in the East End Gallery. Except, I was not in the least bit gloomy myself. The sky may have been grey but my mood was buoyant. For the first time in my life, I actually look forward to going to work.

Curator of the East End Gallery? You would have to be kidding me...but I am. Michael and I own a gallery and we are surrounded by magnificent art pieces. We now have more than thirty artists represented in our gallery and the majority of them are from the Wheatbelt. Because that's what we are. We are a home for Wheatbelt artists. Our mission statement is that we support Wheatbelt artists. This is our dream come true.

We have finally reached the end of the tunnel and the light is still miraculously on. We have been to the brink of financial disaster more times than I can remember. Yet somehow we have battled on, kept our nostrils above water and survived. The project has inspired us, exasperated us, consumed us and delighted us.

And the work will go on. Repairs and maintenance will be a necessity. She is an aged building - cantankerous, wilful and uncompromising. But the hard yards are done. Yes, we have cracks. Yes, we still have leaks when the rain buckets down. Yes, the floor in the Giftshop is less than desirable. We know the building is not going to fall down anytime soon. They make them tough in the Wheatbelt.
We are one week into the Expansion Exhibition - a celebration of Michael's vision. Easter is upon us. Beverley is alive with visitors.

Come and see us this long weekend and enjoy the celebrations!

And now - a snippet of the East End Gallery -






























Interested? Come on down...



No comments:

Post a Comment