Thursday 3 March 2016

An Entertaining Road Trip.

After yesterday, I really didn't feel like venturing away from the House that Rocks. However, that option was not on the agenda. I had committed to travelling to the Deep South to visit an artist in Narrogin.

We first met Christine Davis last May during the Dryandra Art, Food and Wine Trail weekend. She hosted an exhibition at her home. Christine impressed us then with her collection. She was obviously a prolific artist who enjoyed using mixed media and acrylics, in a variety of styles and all sizes ranging from very big indeed to almost tame.

I had been longing to have some of her art in the Gallery. Due to her commitments, she was unable to hire one of our shops for an exhibition last year. We assured her we would have room for some of her paintings when we finished the last of the restoration.

And the day had arrived. After catching up on some washing, dishes and vacuuming a tumbleweed sea of dog hair, I was ready to depart. Hoping her paintings would actually fit in the back of Goldie, I set off on the hundred kilometre journey.

Narrogin is quite an attractive town with gentle hills. Three times larger than Beverley, the town was still agreeably green, even during this last gasp of summer. I had forgotten how to find Christine's house, so I decided to go to the Visitor's Centre on the main drag. As I drove cautiously, I noticed Fortune Street - the very street I was seeking. A quick U-turn and I arrived without much further ado at Ebenezer House.

Christine was just home from work and offered me a cup of tea. She busied herself in the kitchen whilst I began looking in her studio. I chose several paintings to consider and then gratefully accepted a cup of tea. We then drove over to a charming little cottage she and her husband Mark had bought as a short term accommodation guest house.

There were paintings on every wall in every room. I was overwhelmed. We chose about five pieces and then returned to her family home. "Oh wait" she exclaimed, "I forgot my shop!" Another room crammed with stunning paintings. I chose more. Eventually, with nearly ten artworks inside Goldie, I was ready to head for Heavenly Beverley.

Christine's family life and routine made my head spin. Married to Mark, who exudes an aura of calm and patience, she works full-time as an art teacher, still has two older children at home, a French Rotary exchange student and a grandson whom she and Mark are raising. Two and a half-year-old Wyatt, blonde and red-cheeked, arrived as I was leaving. Apparently, he hadn't wanted to leave daycare and had turned on a little tantrum. Mark's solution had been to tuck Wyatt over his 193-centimetre shoulder and ignore his protestations.

I drove home, in total awe, of her commitment to life. Always busy, she still found time to paint and was remarkably cheerful and at ease. Oh, and on top of all these other jobs, she also ran a framing business with Mark and took on painting commissions.

Maybe she just loved the thrill of activity. Was that the key to her great attitude? I just drove home with a warm glow from having been in her company.

Another artist we are welcoming to the East End Gallery for the Expansion Exhibition.



Christine Davis with her pride and joy. Artist, teacher, mother, wife and Superwoman all rolled into one convenient package!





No comments:

Post a Comment