Friday 12 June 2015

Friday On My Mind.

Friday means the first day of each weekend back in the East End Gallery. This is my day to forget about housework (because there is no point), open up the Gallery doors, do a spot of dusting, welcome guests, enjoy the temptation of hot chocolate (99% fat free of course) and set up my laptop in preparation for catching up on this blog, Facebook and any e-mails that need a response.

I love sitting in my chair at the desk surveying the street. I wander outside from time to time, to catch up with friends or simply to have a chat with a passerby. I get a thrill with every visitor who comes in the door. And they respond. Because we are so passionate about the building, its history, its ongoing restoration, our artists and their works, everyone who enters the Gallery feels that they have the chance to experience the building's past, present and future.

Today, "Bicycle Express" has been returned to its rightful place, after travelling to and from the Leonora Art Prize. Michael's sculpture has had an adventure, its right of passage."Bicycle Express" is the story of bicycles in the Western Australian Goldfields, when intrepid riders followed the camel tracks to deliver mail, telegrams and the like. Less than a year after its establishment, Agnew, one hundred and thirty-two kilometres north of Leonora, had its own bicycle service. The bicycle ruled supreme, between the camel and the motor car, as a reliable form of transport across the vast expanses of the Goldfields.

And I'm here, surrounded by the seventy-four or so other artworks. Meanwhile, Michael has set up a mini workshop for manufacturing his spiders. He hopes to have twenty or so ready soon. And the process is fascinating as to how he hand makes each of them. He would also like to complete his two unfinished sculptures and get them displayed in the Gallery. That would just make all the hard yards of the restoration of the building even more special.

We are contemplating creative ways of how to finish the building with no money. Through information from my friend and steam punk enthusiast, Gina, from Chittering Acres Studio, I have set up a HelpX account. We hope to attract two fit young people, with brains, to assist us on the building project, in return for food and accommodation. And a chance to see the Wheatbelt and the Goldfields.

So, with another Friday on my mind, I'm in the East End Gallery on a glorious winter (?!) afternoon. Kettle's on and I'm listening to the magic of Carlos Santana. Come and join me for a dance and a hot chocolate - which won't add to your hips!


The mini worshop....


where these...


and these...


will become more of  these!


And welcome home to "Bicycle Express".


No comments:

Post a Comment