Tuesday 23 June 2015

An (Almost) Pleasant Trip to the Big Smoke.

We lurched out of bed at the ungodly hour of eight o'clock, courtesy of the alarm clock. Feeling like a cat had dragged me through a fence backwards, I hoped a shower would help. Then I remembered we were on emergency gas rations, with only the BBQ bottle left. I had the last shower and prayed  that the hot water would last until the end.

Whilst at the mercy of the uncertain contents of the remaining gas bottle, Michael shot down to the hardware to order two new bottles. I was out of the shower before he returned, such was my fear of impending frigidity. Over the previous few nights, the temperature had plummetted to traditional winter minimums and cold showers were definitely not part of our agenda.

I dressed and we left. I hadn't been able to eat anything as our first stop would be for the cortisone injection into my shoulder. We arrived at radiology, we waited and I went in without Michael. I figured it was time for a bit of courage.

And so, I lay on the trolley waiting for the doctor to come in and start the procedure. I needn't have been quite so nervous. Some kind person had obviously written GIANT WUSS across my record, as the very charming doctor sailed in, smiled at me and patted my hand.I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth. After the customary disinfection, a scratch and almost no sting - better than my injections at the dentist - the process was over. I could only give copious thanks as I left the room. Then I was starving.

Breakfast at Dome was followed by signed dropping documents at the Bank - the final instalment, we hoped in sorting out our business accounts. We drove onto the powder coater to leave Michael's newly constructed twenty-four spiders to receive their handsome black coats. He'd found the magnets and his red stickers at home earlier in the morning and now had all the elements to finish his first batch of redbacks in nearly twenty years.

Back to Midland to pick up some emergency medicinal supplies of decent red wine. A quick drop into the Bank to sort out Final Issues. Last stops were the plumbing supplies warehouse (to source a valve for a hot water system at the shops) and the Sign Supermarket to inquire about our window decals. To our delight and surprise, Tom and Grant had finished our initial order. We swiftly ordered two more signs and a sandwich board, hoping they'd be just as quick, so we could get the additional signs up on the East End Gallery windows by the coming weekend.

With a couple of hours of daylight left, we decided to drop in Michael's Mum and Dad. As we drove in, Judy and Sandra (Michael's sister) has just arrived as well. A very pleasant afternoon tea followed, along with more (unsuccessful) deciphering of Windows 8, before we pulled the pin and headed for the hills.

There was still one more surprise in store. Way out of the Wandoo forest, in the middle of farmland, a lone juvenile kangaroo was stopped in the middle of the road. We came to a halt and waited. The kangaroo looked at us dumbly and began to hop away, still down the middle of the road. We attempted to overtake the young roo on a few occasions, only for it to speed up and hold its course. Michael was concerned that it would expire from overexertion. So we slowed again. This time it hopped to the left side of the road, only to move back to the other side of the road after we'd passed. I remarked that unless it changed its tactics, this kangaroo would not be long for this world.

We arrived home after a successful day. We had witnessed some appalling driver and pedestrian behaviour in the city, some of which horrified us and some of which reduced us to helpless laughter. We were thankful to return in one piece and relatively sane to the House that Rocks.


From this...


to this. Ahhhhh...




No comments:

Post a Comment