Thursday 25 February 2016

Spreading the Love Around.

Living in a small rural town can be quite insular. The fact that Beverley is only one of dozens of small rural towns in the Wheatbelt is easily forgotten. We stick to our own neighbourhood, our own main street and our own sphere of influence.

Today I decided to change all that. Almost twelve months ago, a lovely guest to the East End Gallery, Linda Boliver, wandered out with a garden art horse under her arm. As she had small grandchildren, she thought this would be a great toy for them to play on. Giddy up, horsie!

I did not immediately click that Linda is Rob Bain's partner. Rob is one of our local painters ( in and out of houses and buildings) and he saved our bacon at the end of 2011. Desperate to present the House that Rocks well to family and friends, Rob painted our living room and kitchen just prior to Michael and me tying the knot.

We met them again about six weeks ago at the top pub. We enjoyed a marvellous meal, with vino, laughter and conversation flowing easily. After that night, I discovered Linda was also the proprietor of Nail and Beauty Salon in beautiful downtown Brookton.

A major catastrophe was brewing this morning. I had completely forgotten that I was going to lunch at the Mahogany Inn to celebrate Larissa's birthday. OMG, I looked like something the cat had dragged through the fence backwards.

Disaster was averted. I rang Linda, who had a spare spot in her afternoon appointments. Whew. At half past two, she went to work. The result was wonderful. Whilst, I will never resemble a model, being a short and round girl, Linda removed as much of the Ugly Duckling from me that was possible. I came out looking presentable!

She volunteered to have our poster for the Expansion Exhibition in the salon. That offer and a lovely little sample bag for new clients decided my next move. I rebooked with Linda for just prior to the Expansion Exhibition, so she can work more of her magic. And for my birthday, I might even spoil myself with a facial...

Brookton hadn't finished with me yet. I visited the delightful Marlese and her daughter Gabriella in the Brookton CRC. She was most enthusiastic about the Expansion Exhibition and was eager for more information. I promised to e-mail her the information. and she kindly gave me a contact at the Brookton Shire. A great and unexpectedly pleasant afternoon.

I drove home very pleased with my excursion. I have decided that this was a message from God. Time to spread my wings and make sure I visit other Wheatbelt towns. And spread the love.


Nail and Beauty Salon, Brookton.


Linda Boliver, beautician and saviour.





Brookton CRC.


No comments:

Post a Comment