Saturday 13 February 2016

At last! A Cool Day in the East End Gallery.

After a week of Heavenly Beverley resembling Dante's Inferno, we have had relief. Last night, we started being in bed with no clothes and no covers. And the fan. Then we moved to pulling up the sheet. Then the doona. Finally, we turned off the fan. We woke this morning feeling cool.

Michael was in the Gallery ahead of me. His scaffolding was dismantled, piece by piece. We arranged furniture and hung pictures we'd taken down. I vacuumed where the scaffolding had been. Michael unearthed an old desk to cover the plumbing pipe in the back of the Gallery, thus preventing a nasty occupational and safety issue. I washed dishes, cleaned the couches and an occasional table. In between, we had a variety of guests into the Gallery.

Two young lads came in and asked to look at the artworks. One of them was the grand-nephew of one of our artists. They were polite, respectful and engaged. I was gobsmacked. They were on their way to the swimming pool and just thought they'd drop in. These boys are welcome anytime!

Groups from York, a couple of weekend residents and other visitors completed our day in the Gallery. I went over the road to the Red Vault cafe and took photos of the new outdoor desk. Debbie and Charmaine have worked so hard to bring their dream to fruition. They are another credit to Heavenly Beverley.

As I returned from the Red Vault, a lady was peering in the window of Wares West. I asked her if she wanted me to open the shop. She declined, but we then had a very entertaining conversation. She was on a farm southwest of Beverley. She and her husband had just finished at a clearance sale in town and were grabbing a bite to eat prior to their drive home.

We chatted about our plans to build behind the Gallery. Great idea, less garden. I agreed. I told her I'd wept over a number of corpses fried in the summer heat. Her philosophy about gardening was pretty simple. She claimed she didn't drink water, so why should plants? I nearly wet myself.

I'm sitting feeling almost cold. Bliss. The hot weather will return next week, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying a cool change.

Happy Valentine's Day.


The complete east wall of the East End Gallery


and the finished alcove...


plus doorway to the workshop.


Red Vault deck


looking north...


looking west from inside the Red Vault.



No comments:

Post a Comment