Saturday 6 February 2016

Failure to Launch...

This week, spare a kind thought for us here in Heavenly Beverley. Whilst we melt. We are looking at the next five days above 40 degrees, with a "cool" change on Friday - currently, the forecast is for 39 degrees. What a relief.

Today, I was in the East End Gallery. I turned on our sophisticated air-conditioning system - two ceiling fans, one floor fan and a portable air cooler. I had all sorts of plans to complete a whole heap of marketing tasks promoting our Expansion Exhibition, which opens on 19 March. After all, the day was going to be a relatively mild 38...

I was going to produce a poster, a media release for the Avon's newspapers and radio, a local notice for the Beverley Bulletin and Blarney  and a notification to our artists and the public. Well, guess what? I started none of these tasks. By early afternoon, I was a damp sponge of sweat, trying to look fresh and animated in my curator's frock. I failed miserably.

Our only visitors today were - one lady travelling in a convoy of camper trailers, an artist from York and a local family buying ice creams (I think) from the Country Kitchen.

By three o'clock, I'd had enough. I packed my bat and ball and scurried home. The steering wheel and gear lever in Goldie were almost too hot to touch. I opened all her windows, cranked up the air-conditioning and waited until I could hold the wheel and change gears.

Once home in the glorious coolness of the House that Rocks, I prepared Osso Bucco to lub-dub on the stove for a few hours and retired to our bedroom. I slept. I even had to pull up the covers. Absolute bliss!

I watered parts of our gasping garden around dusk. This will be a job I will have to repeat often over the next few days. I filled every one of our birdbaths and bowls around the front garden. I hope we don't have too many casualties if the birds can drink and bathe. Last summer, we had a 28 parrot submerge itself in one of our baths. I was tempted to offer it a snorkel...

So, after last week's rain and an influx of B52 mosquitoes, we are lurching to the opposite extreme. Ye Gods. I actually found myself longing for winter clothes and hot chocolate.

Back in the Gallery tomorrow. I will try to open earlier and shut up earlier. Michael will attempt a paint job repair of the back door tomorrow night. The first undercoat was a disaster. The paint blistered as he was slapping it on.

I hope he has better luck the second time...

And that we survive this week in reasonable nick...





No comments:

Post a Comment