Friday 20 November 2015

From Tragedy to Triumph!

I can't believe today is Friday again. Where has this week gone? Actually, I know exactly where this week has gone. Two long day trips to the Big Smoke, hours surfing real estate for rent pages, countless e-mails, much texting (I'm getting better with the evils of technology), four unit inspections, lots of phone calls and... a partridge in a pear tree (I threw that in for good measure as we're in the silly season - you sang along, didn't you?).

This time last week, my world was secure, known and predictable. That all changed on Sunday as Alex's might-have-been "forever" home vanished in an instant. I couldn't allow the shock and disbelief to derail me for long. Within a couple of hours, I had started the process of searching for a new home for my lad.

And unbelievably, my action has paid off. Swiftly. After seriously considering our options - contacting the Homeswest Priority Waiting List, which would have been a complete waste of time - Alex and I discussed his needs. He wanted his own one bedroomed unit,  with a year's lease initially and hopefully the option to renew until he crawls his way to the top of the Waiting List (we're not holding our breath).

Yesterday morning, I received a call from a new property manager that we had been successful in our application for our preferred unit. To say we were thrilled was the understatement of the century. Alex was stoked and I heaved a huge sigh of relief.

His unit is freshly painted, with new carpet, a reasonable kitchen (we will need to buy a pantry cupboard). a big bathroom, separate (!) loo, full security screens, a good sized bedroom and a pleasant outlook. Two bonuses are (this is Alex we're talking about) no air conditioning and a communal laundry with a coin operated washing machine.

The location is perfect. He'll be back in leafy Yokine, an area he knows well, close to his church and community garden and the gym.

So, Wednesday is moving day. We go back down the hill with his fridge, microwave, one couch, a smaller table and two dining chairs, sign the lease, pick up the keys and begin the unloading. In the meantime, I have organised extra support hours tomorrow to help him pack and move next week. Beth Mildenhall from UnitingCareWest has become my hero.

In the meantime, I have bought him a few essential items that he needs. I do expect him to pay me back (he doesn't know this yet!). And because we're broke as well, I have decided to accept any kind offers that we can organise for Alex.

The items he really needs are -


  • a double boiler saucepan for his cooking
  • another medium sized saucepan for meal preparation
  • a functional vacuum cleaner - the head on his old one has given up the ghost and can't be replaced
  • an ironing board - the current one is about to collapse!
  • possibly an iron - if we can't get his old one back as we gave it away
  • a single door pantry cupboard - you know the type (melamine and not flash)
  • a kitchen bin with lid
  • a smallish working fridge with a freezer
Please contact me via this blog or PM me on Facebook if you can help with any of the above items.

Our autistic superstar is about to have his own digs!


Oh goody...


we're informing you...


to watch out for us on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment