Sunday 22 November 2015

Diverse Opinions to our Christmas Raffle.

Beverley is a small country town.  We have friendly people, interesting people, lonely people, angry people, accepting people, inclusive people and a range in between. This presents as a double-edged sword. In the Big Smoke, the sheer volume of people means that you may be unaware of any negative vibes. In Beverley, you may be more conversant with the residents, understand their foibles and avoid anyone who doesn't rock your boat.

Except when people change, for no apparent reason. Then pettiness, criticism, hurtful comments arise and leave me feeling vulnerable and violated.

Yesterday, I have a brainwave. Christmas is coming, I was considering a raffle to draw visitors into the East End Gallery, but I wanted to involve as many retail outlets as possible. Michael and I had been to a business breakfast this week, hosted by the Beverley Community Resource Centre and all attendees seemed to be on the same page to support and promote our local businesses.

I noted that a couple of shops up the street had launched a raffle between themselves. I thought that having another raffle, an inclusive raffle, a raffle that encouraged visitors and locals to engage with any number of shops was a positive move. So, I created our Christmas raffle.

The idea is that you still spend money in the East End Gallery to receive a raffle ticket to win a framed print. Every $50 spent in the Gallery would give you another raffle ticket. However, I extended the option of getting more raffle tickets in our raffle by demonstrating a $50 purchase at another shop in Beverley. I foolishly thought all the shops on the main drag would jump at the idea.

Most of them did. Most of them were delighted. I had produced a flyer explaining the parameters of the raffle. Multiple visits were allowed and if a resident or visitor came into the Gallery declaring they had spent $50 in another shop, I would be happy to give the second raffle ticket if they purchased from us as well.

One proprietor was not keen that I had produced the flyer before consultation. Fair enough. I received a dressing down and apologised. In the end, this person still decided to be part of our raffle, which was fine by us.

Another proprietor took my breath away. I have purchased a number of items from this particular outlet when I could have found similar items in the Big Smoke. I just decided the right thing to do was to Shop Local, if possible.

I will not quote what this person said to me. I have never experienced anything bordering on commercial hatred before I spoke to this proprietor. It was made crystal clear that this outlet did not want any connection with the East End Gallery or our raffle and would actively avoid informing any visitors about our Gallery.

Even though we have had this outlet's flyers in the Gallery.

Even though I have written complimentary articles about this person.

Even though I have promoted this outlet to our visitors.

Even though this person was at the business breakfast.

Comments? I am at a loss to understand this attitude and the hostility behind it.


No comments:

Post a Comment