Sunday 1 November 2015

Cinderella's Blast at the BeFriend Ball.

My youngest son, Alex is a pretty groovy guy. As well as good looking, cheerful, enthusiastic and energetic. He's had a bit of a rough winter with chest pain now and then, but his cardiologist is not too concerned. And now that spring is here, he will definitely notice a reduction in the number of colds, which appears to trigger this chest pain.

Last year, Alex went to his first BeFriend Ball. There were some issues with his transport to get him there and back, but after I raised a fuss and threatened to insert a large garden gnome up the support agency's bottom, they came to the party and Cinderella was able to get to the ball.

And boy, did Alex have a great time. One standout highlight was meeting up with one of his oldest friends, the very suave Chris Della Bonna. Actually, Chris hasn't changed much since Year 7. And Alex was overjoyed. His brilliant smile said it all.

Alex continues to stun me with his competency as an adult. Since he has autism and some other health issues, I guess I have babied him from time to time. Well, not anymore, buddy.

As this year's BeFriend Ball was approaching, I innocently enquired about Alex's transport plans to and from the ball after the almost debacle in 2014. I was put firmly back in my box. Now, most people know that I am a technological dinosaur. My Nokia phone is out of the Ark. My laptop is firmly set on Windows 7 and will continue that way until it expires. I do not trust ATMs, EFTPOS terminals (in spite of having one) or PayPass. Having finally succumbed to buying a digital camera, I am the proud owner of an Olympus Tough. I leave it on auto and I have no idea how to check photos after I take them. It's a miracle I can download them onto the computer.

Anyway, I've digressed. After expressing my concerns about his transport, Alex replied that all was in hand. He has an Uber app on his smartphone and he knows how to use it. Ye Gods, my child has grown up and I am now superfluous...well maybe not quite.

So, Cinderella returned to the BeFriend Ball last night on All Hallow's Eve. He had an absolute blast. A year older, a year smarter, a year of success. He danced with Adrienne, whom he knows from the Warehouse Cafe. What a knockout couple. And he caught up with Chris again. And although he hasn't contacted me directly, he has posted the night's triumph on Facebook.

And why should he contact his mother? How many other twenty-four-year-olds tell their mothers they've been to a ball? Alex and his brother, Callum are becoming quite blase about attending balls these days. Between the pair of them, they have been to more balls than I've had hot dinners...almost!

But I can't help it - I am stunningly proud of Alex, as I am all my children. It's just that today he's in my limelight a tad more than the others. Which, of course, will change with my next post.

In the meantime, Go Alex. Fab Facebook post. Roll on to the 2016 BeFriend Ball!



Very smooth...


with Adrienne...


and Chris...


and again...


on All Hallow's Eve...


at the BeFriend Ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment