Wednesday 18 November 2015

Around the Bay for a Bob

Yesterday was one of those days. After the shock of discovering that Alex's stay in the new house was not to be, I had to swing into action. I spent most of Sunday night and Monday chasing units available for rent. I ended up with four definite properties to view on Tuesday and another two possibilities.

I set off at a quarter to ten for a full day. Michael was on his own for dinner. Thankfully we had leftovers. I had no idea when I would be home.

The first unit in Yokine looked promising. The second unit in Yokine was near a major road and would have been too noisy. I stopped for lunch at Bravo's where Callum was working. Pate and toast and a glass of vino revived me for the rest of the day. I picked up Alex, explained the situation to him, slowly and patiently, and set off for our third unit. His reaction was astonishingly reasonable. I swelled with pride at his acceptance of the situation.

The rain had started to bucket down. The third unit was tiny. Forget it. We decided to stop at one of the real estate agents and submit an application for the first unit. The was completed with surprising ease. Off to our last viewing of the day. We canned the arrival of the real estate agent due to the scattered rubbish, the overwhelming odour de cat pee and burnt out exhaust fans on the building.

Then we crawled down the freeway to pick up an overnight bag for Alex so he could come to Beverley with me. Stop start stop start. We eventually pointed Goldie east at nearly six o'clock.

In my exhaustion, my sense of direction went pear shaped. Finding myself on the vast interchange named the Gateway, I arrived unexpectedly at the international airport. Bugger. I retraced my steps, prayed and eventually headed in more or less the right direction again. Peak hour was at full throttle. All I wanted to do was find our way home.

The rain became a deluge going up Greenmount Hill. I found myself travelling through the forest in the dark. My senses were on heightened alert. I hoped all the kangaroos were being sensible and remaining under shelter and not on the road.

I was pathetically grateful to reach the bright lights of Beverley. We pulled into the House that Rocks just after eight.

And now we wait to see if our rental application is successful. If not, we start all over again.



Round and round the garden...


where the hell am I?


my impression of the Gateway (it probably wasn't that bad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment