Saturday 12 May 2018

Voluntarily Confiined to Barracks

This post could take some time. I'm propped up in bed, with groovy red non-slip socks on my feet. Added to this model shoot are very my attractive white pressure stockings adorning my legs, a sexy stripey nightie, disordered hair without a hint of product and my new best friend - a zimmer frame I've named the Oracle. What a picture to contemplate!

Michael delivered me to the Mount Hospital yesterday just after eleven o'clock. He then turned into a pack horse, bringing in the computer bags, toiletries items, our essentials (coffee beans, grinder, a variety of tea bags, our mugs and his precious plunger coffee pot). We also have the medicinal chocolates and jellybeans. Finally, he staggered into the room with our clothes bag. Whew.

The delightfully friendly anaesthetist Anna Nagle had advised we bring in three sets of knickers and undies when I spoke to her at home. So we had thought we were armed with sufficient clothes and supplies until Monday. Now sitting on my bum, contemplating a possible lengthier timeframe, perhaps we should have brought more clothes in. I immediately resolved to phone Vanessa for emergency supplies of jocks, tee shirts and pyjama bottoms for Michael. She is currently at Station House to babysit the dogs and car overnight, as well as collecting her winter clothes out of her closet there.

Callum is coming in tomorrow for Mother's Day morning tea. Not that we can complain about the food here. The Mount is probably on par with the Joondalup Private Hospital. For example, lunch was a delicious chicken roast and parsley sauce with roast potato and veggies - even the broccoli was still crunchy. What was a welcome surprise.

On my operated leg, I am sporting a ProHart style splashing of pink from my groin to my ankle, an arrow to mark the correct knee and a small catheter tube that delivers local anaesthetic to my knee all the time. Anna's rationale behind this is simple. If I'm not in pain, I will do my physio. Good point.

That catheter is coming out on Monday. Other devices that have been removed include my oxygen nose prongs, the saline drip and the severe pain relief button I only used four times. Also gone is my bladder catheter so I have been able to take a trip to the loo and put knickers on for the first time in over twenty-four hours.

Waiting in the holding bay remains the worst part of yesterday. A close second was the unsuccessful first drip insertion. Anna was most apologetic and managed to insert a triple gin and tonic into that site, so I have no memory of the second successful IV being placed just below my elbow. I think I have a wispy recall of the spinal anaesthetic, but nothing overly unpleasant. I certainly didn't hear Ben's choice of music, which Anna reported was reasonable, but apparently a tad on the loud side.

I was compos mentis in time for the final episode of Harrow, before having a final cup of tea and off to sleep. In spite of the normal post-op interruptions last night, I was easily able to return to slumber.

Today, I have been a little worse for wear. I've been stabbed, x rayed, utrasounded and visited by all and sundry. I'm been exercised by the physios, been checked by Anna and amused by the Boy Wonder's visit in weekend civvies with all three of his children in tow.  So after lunch, I slept the afternoon away. I hope with some of the drugs I have been given will be reduced over the next day or so and the daytime snooziness disappears.

Michael has his own proper bed as we have been given a twin room. He has been admirably noble, helpful and understanding. I am so grateful for his boarding will me, as I would have had to call the nurses a great deal more without his help.

Between them, Jan, Greg and Vanessa are holding the fort in Beverley and we are so thankful. Jan admitted she had given the dogs twice their usual amount of food, so she is now Ruby's best friend. A nervous wee was located under the table but Vanessa has dealt with that indiscretion.

So any concerns have vanished and I am feeling relatively comfortable with my condition and being in the hospital. Our room is large and pleasant. The nursing staff, including Elsa, Sarah, Rose and Yusup have been outstanding in their care. Sarah even made Michael's bed for him this morning.

We have watched the Eagles win on the telly and are following the Dockers home game against St Kilda. Later programmes are promising.

In some ways, remarkably similar to a normal Saturday night at home.




I couldn't find a photo of Anna Nagle, but this is close enough...


The Boy Wonder...


Hopefully, Ben didn't end his day like this!


Front-of-House reclining in relative comfort...


The lady in red (socks)...


a bit weary...


With my beloved man.





1 comment: