Thursday 10 May 2018

Lights! Cameras! Action!

After an unexpected, albeit a rather pleasant lull in proceedings, we have returned to the virtual pile-up known as living in Heavenly Beverley. A quiet week or so has receded into memory. Once again, we have reverted to a "fasten your seatbelts for liftoff" pace of activity.

Pip, a vet's Worst Nightmare was actually quite well behaved when we returned to Doctor Graeme for his checkup. This may have had something to do with my warning bellow at full throttle and the exceedingly firm headlock in which he found himself after Graeme has checked his teeth. I parted company with another King's ransom to keep all the animals' teeth in tiptop condition with an additive for their water and brought Pip's vaccinations up to speed.

Both Rubies also visited this particular money chasm - the Problem Child for her vaccination and checkup and Madame Cat for ongoing monitoring of her blood pressure and renal condition. The Fickle Feline is rarely amused with these ongoing appointments and has developed a look of such displeasure that would cause Medusa to blanch.

Last Monday was Knee Day. After a delicious lunch at Royal India Restaurant with Michael's siblings and hangers-on, we entered the hallowed chambers of the Boy Wonder. Mr Ben Kimberley, who has been putting Michael and me back together again for the past eight years, was not complimentary of my dodgy knee. In spite of all our best efforts, a catastrophic drop into the bowels of a boiler last August had done me no favours. And I declared myself Over the discomfort, the cracking, pinging, popping and stabbing sensations that this troublesome joint has been causing me. My previous arthroscopy in October had not lived up to the task. I had tried rest, exercise, massage, Pilates and goldplated orthotics, with no long-term success. We were all in favour of giving my old knee the boot.

So tomorrow is New Knee Day. I have every confidence in the Boy Wonder. I am also delighted to be in the hands of anaesthetist Anna Nagle. She had been present at the scene of my first and satisfactory arthroscopy in May.  I had been very nervous indeed and had asked for a double Bailey's on the rocks. "Coming right up" was her cheerful reply and the last thing I remembered before I entered Cloud Cuckoo Land. And anybody who rescues and nurtures odd or mutant sheep ought to be included in my eclectic bunch of friends and associates.

The timing of this event has, unfortunately, thrown a spanner in the works for Mother's Day. Michael was going to take me out to lunch at "Alice @ the Palace" in York on Sunday. This has had to be canned. I'm just so touched that he and Vanessa had concocted this scheme and we will go to this lovely restaurant another day. Instead, I hope to be fit enough to be let out of the Mount in order to enjoy Mother's Day in the big Smoke and catch up with the kids there.

This week has also seen us being shorn by Famous Sharon at Midland Salon Express. Streaks and a new base colour have allowed my hair to be fit to be seen in public once more. Michael has lost the maniac Julius Sumner Miller style, clipped his beard and is looking remarkably dashing.

And out of nowhere, work has resumed on Station House's exterior. The finished wall is now the beautifully bespoke enclosure of our charcoal pavers.  The guest room's carport frame is cut, painted and installed. Next week, the second carport will follow and the pavers will be cleaned and sealed. Once the plans are through the council, the front porch can also be constructed. As soon as these tasks are finished, the concrete pads can be poured, the last bits of brick paving done and we may have Station House completely finished within twelve months. That would be a terrific feat.

The arrival of new art pieces has also been thrown into the mix. I am finding myself quite looking forward to a Bex, A Good Liedown and a Decent Cup of Tea over the next few days.

And I vow to never quibble about a slowing down of our action-packed lives ever again.


Hang onto your hats - it's all happening!



Pip, in his mild-mannered persona...



Pip at the vet...



The cat, showing her usual contempt for us mere mortals...


The cat at the vet's...


And the Problem Child - whatever...


 In the beginning, our wall bricks were actually underground...


Which was never going to stop Michael...


from excavating a bloody huge underground water storage tank...



View upwards...


Going down...


And further down...


and hurling bricks to the surface for an entire month!


SHAZAM...










Four years later, these same bricks now form an absolutely stunning brick wall!
Meanwhile, this is a normal knee...


and this is my knee.


Tried this...


and tomorrow - this!


Back to new works in the East End Gallery -
"Black and White" by Jenny Couper


"Bucket List" - Andrew Taylor


"Lynn's Miro" - Lynn Isaacs


Recycled bowls - Craig Robertson (Red Nut Rustics)




"A Little Bird Told Me" - Neil Elliott


And Michael and me for the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment