Sunday 5 February 2017

How To Just Stop

Today has been a truly wonderful day. Today I just stopped. I still opened the Gallery. I still welcomed guests. I still organised lunch for us. The difference was I chose to carry out only the activities I wished. And so I am sitting here at my desk in the Gallery. Michael has taken a break from cleaning bricks and is relaxing in one of our red club chairs with his feet up. Bliss.

We have gone back to basics, to what is important in our lives. Michael has worked out that we have about three times as many bricks as we' need for our al fresco wall. Hence, when we can afford to do so, we will have more than enough bricks for our carports and the back outdoor nook. Then we had a ridiculous argument about the cost effectiveness of western red cedar versus cement cladding. Plus the ongoing cheerful terror of building costs, with  Michael occupying the tensely morose corner and me in the enthusiastically optimistic corner. Michael has no doubt that we will struggle to keep within our budget. I have no doubt that we will finish the project with money to spare. And our minor squabbling is totally and utterly relevant to us and us alone.,

This normality is so sweet. For the first time in weeks, I have had a day off. I haven't had to focus on the interminable crisis that is Centrelink, Vanessa is settled into a new share house for her final semester, Alex's ongoing Homeswest saga will not become an issue for another two months and Callum and Bron did get their camping holiday, in spite of a last-moment family disaster. I think I've updated all our direct debits to CUA so I can finally close our last account with BankWest, that singularly unhelpful financial institution.

Vanessa had arrived and is Taking Charge. My bed is being made, the vacuuming will be done and we get to take a leisurely stroll around our beautiful oval. I've planned a roast for dinner and Vanessa makes the baked potatoes just the way Michael loves.

Jan, one of our artists and her faithful sidekick Macca dropped in as well. We just sat and chatted and shared a cider or so. The main street emptied of any remaining day trippers after four o'clock. I've enjoyed a gentle cool breeze drifting in through the Gallery doors and my outlook of the world through "Mindscape".

The Gallery is now closed. the bricks are sorted and cleaned and all is well with our world. Awesome.


Michael in the Gallery today...


After he realised I was taking his photo!


The view from my desk.


And the broken pallet all cleaned and sorted!



No comments:

Post a Comment