Thursday 16 February 2017

A Day-Long Date with Doctor Daram.

Yesterday was D-Day. The Dreaded Day. The Day that could not be Denied. Yesterday was my Date with Doctor Daram to have the skin cancer on the left side of my nose Denuded. Oh goody.

In spite of taking a sleeping tablet, Tuesday night was not conducive to a Decent night's sleep. We had to Depart at the ungodly hour of six thirty and hopefully arrive at the Day Surgery by eight thirty.  I was awake before the alarm and my first task was to raise His Majesty from his slumber. He was not amused.

We were Doing well time wise until we hit peak hour morning traffic. Peak hour, as a phrase is a complete misnomer. The morning and afternoon road chaos continues for several hours, There are inevitable collisions, a great deal of horn honking and often some rather nasty language hurled between drivers. The ultimate top of the scale is referred to as "road rage" and is something we attempt to avoid at all costs. Road rage does not occur in Beverley.

Anyway, we eventually drove into the glamorously named South Bank fifteen minutes late. Finding the MOHS suite was rather like the entering CONTROL headquarters. One specific lift Delivered us Directly to the waiting room. A nervous wait, a quick check of my blood pressure and my Date with Daram commenced.

I had worked myself into a bit of a tizz over the local anaesthetic block that was to be injected into my nose. A bit of an anti-climax really. The needles still stung, but probably less than the injections for the previous biopsies. Then the Deed began.

Incision and excision one. Send off for pathology. Wait in my recliner for news. The whole growth hadn't been removed in the first go. Back into the Treatment Room. Top up of the locals. Second excision. Hole in my nose now the size of a Smartie. Pathology reported still more Dangerous cells lurking beneath. Back to the treatment room for another Dig.

By this time, Michael had arrived and was allowed to enter the inner sanctum to amuse me. I was so tired that I was not at all witty and Disappointingly Dirgeful.

Finally, we received the All Clear. Now I returned for a great Deal of stitching. Somehow Daram created a triangular flap from another bit of my nose to cover the crater. With a background of Seventies music, the Deed began. This was not a quick procedure. There are fifty internal Dissolving stitches and an unknown number of non-Dissolving ones. Which will be Dealt with by Daram over the next week or so. At three o'clock, we were ready to Disappear back to the hills.

I was told to expect some Discomfort. I suppose a swollen and black eye that feels like it is being pulled out of its socket could be Described as Discomfort. Add to the mix a Dullish headache and throbbing all down the ridge of my nose and you get the picture. Sod the Panadol. Two tablets didn't touch the pain I was in.

I perked up enough for a few quick Detours - the tile shop, the bottle shop for some Desired Drinkies and finally a visit to Lucky for a restorative cup of tea, two panadeine and one antibiotic. We arrived home as Dusk was falling. The idea of Dinner was about as attractive as the rest of the Day's events.

I retired to our boudoir before seven o'clock. I did not rise for over twelve hours. This morning  I appear Dishevelled with a Dreary Disposition. My left eye is almost closed and my nose feels about the size of a largish Dinosaur's proboscis. I am forbidden to Drop my head lower than the level of the heart and not carry anything heavier than five kilogrammes. Michael will be Mrs Doubtfire for the interim. At least, we should not experience any more Downhill Disasters for the foreseeable future....

And I now have to wear a hat on my Dome on all Days. However, if this action prevents any new Damage emerging, that will be a job well Done!




Our peaceful drive into Perth...



The Place




The Logo!




The process of MOHS surgery




What causes all the waiting.




How I hope I look like.


How I THINK I look like!

This too will pass.




No comments:

Post a Comment