Monday 5 December 2016

Forget the Small Steps - We're Taking Giant Strides

Today has been one of those outstanding "red letter" days. I am happier and more content with Dad's circumstances than I've been since arriving last Monday.

Don't get me wrong. The staff are absolutely fantastic - approachable, agreeable and accommodating. The surroundings are beautiful. Dad's original room was pokey and cool with only a few straggly plants outside for company. When Dad had moved into care, I think Mum was so exhausted that she had neither the energy nor the will to work on the "homey" touches - that is, surround Dad with more of his favourite books and belongings.

All has changed. We have just completed the transition from the old to the new. Dad's updated digs are larger, brighter, warmer and inviting. His neighbour Joe, who is a sprightly ninety-six, has a bird feeder set up. This, of course, brings in the birds and Dad has already sat outside in his own outdoor chair, watching the feathered visitors with great delight. We moved books, pictures and a wall hanging into his room. His 2017 calendar went up on the wall.

He also has his own bed linen, his own pillows and his own blankets. All labelled. His desk in situ, a bookshelf and another table complete the furniture. I have restocked his wardrobe, with David's permission. And thus occurred today's first miracle.

Dad has been very self-conscious about shorts since he had his catheter permanently in place. He refused to wear them so Mum, understandably, tossed his shorts out. The staff begged me to try and find him some long shorts, which would be easier for them to help him dress and have access to his catheter bag. Two trips to Sunshine Plaza and we secured three pairs of long shorts. Dad gave them the tick of approval after trying them on.  This morning, Leanne, one of the carers dressed Dad in his new shorts, with his sandals and no socks.  I told Dad that socks with sandals were out - he was not going to resemble a Pommy tourist!

Second triumph. He's happy to go outside for short strolls and sit in the sun. Previously, getting Dad out of his easy chair was like prising open an oyster. Yesterday, he told me he'd walk to the end of the earth if I asked. I replied I'd walk over hot coals for him.

We went for a slow toddle this afternoon and we were rewarded with the sight of an eagle overhead. We were both thrilled.

Third change. I've set up a weekly whiteboard for the staff to use. Dad can be very stubborn but he actually enjoys routine and structure. I have filled in this week, supplied the staff with numerous whiteboard pens and told Dad the honeymoon is over.

Tomorrow we begin his new schedule properly. Apart from daily walks, I have prescribed sitting outside and watering his plants (Dad - you can water them, Kate. Me - they're your bloody plants and you will bloody well water them). And I have discovered the coffee van visits every morning at ten o'clock. We will be waiting out the front for Dad to have a proper coffee. Besides, I already owe the coffee lass $4.50 for today's coffee!

The result of all this upheaval in his life? Dad hasn't stopped grinning all day. He looks like the cat who swallowed the canary. And he is getting his wicked sense of fun back. At one point, I was being particularly bossy and he poked his tongue out at me. Excellent.

Tonight, Michael and I are going out for a celebratory dinner. Roll on tomorrow!



Dad in his new room.


Still life of Dad, his bed and my hat.


His desk looking outside.


Occasional furniture with new whiteboard.


Some handsome chap in his new shorts and no socks!


Dad's outside terrace and garden...


and his orchids, which are about to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment