Saturday 3 December 2016

Baby Steps with Santa

My darling Dad is not a social animal by nature. He has always been happiest within Mum's orbit, even at difficult times during their sixty-six years of marriage. So, with his solitary habits - mainly reading these days - he could easily become very isolated. So yesterday, I did a teeny weeny bit of pushing.

The Christmas Care Centre lunch was a lively affair. A pretty good entertainer singing all the Golden Oldies, a superb lunch orchestrated by the outstanding staff, families in attendance and Santa arriving were the highlights. Dad was not entirely comfortable, as his lack of hearing becomes worse with lots of background noise.

He did enjoy his lunch. And he did smile. And I did touch him and stroke him. And we made conversation when possible. And he allowed himself to be dragged into a photo with me, posing with Santa (John, one of the residents in full regalia).

After lunch, we showed him the plans for our house. He was very interested. And we set out on a walk. Almost a bridge too far. But with several rests, he managed to get back into his room. I hope he enjoyed a well-deserved snooze. We certainly did.

Today, I intend on taking over some more of his belongings to be labelled. Beautiful soft rugs, pillow slips and towels. His dressing gown. I want to go through his clothes so I know if he needs anything. Michael will keep him entertained with photos on our computer. And Dad likes talking with Michael. Another bonus.

And I intend to work on a step that may involve another bit of bullying on my part. Dad feels the cold. He is always overdressed. And the dining room is air conditioned. But in his room and if he sits outside, he would be warmer. I am going to ask the staff to work with me on a compromise about clothes. No jumper in his room. If he gets cold, he might take a little walk and sit in the sun. And that could move him out of the safety of the cocoon of his room back into the world just a little.

In the meantime, I'm going to love him. Lots.











Yesterday's Christmas lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment