Friday 9 December 2016

And With Much Fanfare, Happy Happy Birthday, Darling Dad!

I would have to say that Dad's birthday was a triumph beyond all expectations. We have managed to stay in a celebratory mood for the final forty-eight hours of our visit.

Dad enjoyed opening his presents whilst still sitting at his breakfast table. He was delighted with his bird bath and bird feeder, his solar powered garden light, and his new spray fitting for watering his finished "garden". He continued to be showered with cards and good wishes for the entire day. Wendy, one of his neighbours in the villas, brought in biscuits, cheese and a wee glass of red wine. Bev, next door to Wendy, also made one of her very regular visits to Dad. I have charged both these delightful ladies in helping to keep a collective eye on Dad when I am absent.

David roared back onto the scene in his nifty i30, ably assisted by my canine nephew Kenzo. Michael (brother) and Simon both phoned with their birthday greetings and love. Lunch at Freddy Fudpukkas cafe in Coolum was yet another highlight of the day. Dad looked absolutely smashing in his new shirt. Then, he deviated from his usual order to keep David on his toes, reminding us all that Dad still has the ability to change his mind for no particular reason.

Another treat was the arrival of the final pot from the villa to Dad's terrace - a prolifically flowering poinsettia. The able Shane and Carlos delivered this blast of colour as Dad was actually sitting outside. He was thrilled. A final treat was given to Dad yesterday. He now has his own named mug, which will serve him well. He immediately requested a cup of tea and we sat together comfortably in the late afternoon sun, watching the world go by.

I feel I can return home, knowing the centre, the residents, the staff and his friends. Dad has soaked up all the attention and now has a smile almost perpetually on his face. The new room, his belongings around him, the creation of his outdoor terrace, his daily coffee from Ellen's coffee van and his birthday celebrations have all added to his demeanour and boosted his enthusiasm for life once more.

I will miss him very much and I know he will miss us. Having said that, I have also entered into an arrangement with the centre's administrative superstar Karen to print off my e-mails to give to Dad. I am hoping to pull my finger out and send him our news at least twice a week.

As I've sat here writing this post, my mind has drifted back to a conversation with Dad. He certainly is an original. I was telling him of Michael's loathing of shopping, any shopping. Dad responded, wistfully, that he loved shopping. I asked if he ever went out on the centre's shopping bus. No, he replied, they are all women. His soft round face split with delight when I promised him we'd take him shopping on our next visit. And we are investigating getting Dad a mobile. He would like his own phone. Goals for the future.

The whiteboard is proving to be a huge success, with its daily reminders. I feel all the changes have given Dad a reason to get out of his easy chair and join the world. Yesterday, as I arrived to give him his mug, he was already outside, watering his beloved plants. Awesome.

I would like to thank Michelle, Karen and all the Care Centre staff for their ongoing support and allowing me to wreak havoc on their orderly world over the last eleven days.

And lastly, for my darling Dad, thank you for your affection, your fabulous sense of humour and your rediscovered joy in life's simple things.

See you in July, Dad.


Birthday Boy



Chatting to my brother, Michael.


Some other random handsome fellow.


David, in typical cheerful humour.


 Kenzo joined us for lunch.


The birthday shirt.


 Coffee time!


Still life of Wendy, Bottle and Dad.



On his way to dinner.


Still life of Dad, Wendy and Cake. 


Blowing out the candle. 


 See you next time Dad.


 Gatecrashers in Dad's garden.


Suitably relaxed.


The bird bath, at an appropriately jaunty angle.


About to leave the party.


Dad at dinner last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment