Wednesday 6 April 2016

We're from the Government...

...and they should be here to help us. Except that sentiment appears to be sadly lacking in many politicians, not just here in Australia.

Another extraordinary day in the Big Smoke yesterday. Our main task was to pick up our French backpackers who were arriving after twenty-two hours flying. Before that, I  needed to touch base with my orthopaedic surgeon, the Boy Wonder, to get the big tick of approval post-op after my shoulder and wrist surgery.

He was running rather late in his clinic. Not to worry as we had plenty of time. And there was plenty to just sit and think about. And I had a book as well.

The media were full of the Panama Papers and its ramifications. Did the fact I wasn't surprised at this expose meant I considered the well-off to be corrupt, sneaky and immoral? Which is unfair in the extreme. However, when the Prime Minister of Australia has money stashed in tax havens, what does that actually say about him? That the tax system in this country is unfair? That he's a greedy bastard? That he doesn't give a fig for the rest of us? That people like Mr Turnball treat the tax system of this country with contempt? Or that he is entitled (that word again) to take advantage of any legal tax minimisation (or avoidance) scheme?

I pondered these ideas as I waited. Eventually, the Boy Wonder launched into his office to see me. There was really nothing to discuss about my recovery. As ever, he had performed  minor miracles on my long-suffering shoulder and wrist.

General discussion followed. We talked about injuries to Education Assistants like me. He described being an Education Assistant in the same breath as a skateboarder or a horse rider. He said he had "thirty or forty" education assistants on his books.

I was gobsmacked. This, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when indiscriminate cuts are made to Education. Or for any industry, for that matter. Our children are being injured or are injuring us. Because we don't have enough trained staff to care for children with disabilities in schools. Let alone, meaningfully educate  and support them.

The government is not here to help us, I have concluded. Otherwise, they would overhaul the tax system, so all of us pay our fair share of tax. And properly fund education, health, community services, aged care and all those other areas that are deemed a "burden".

They think in terms of three years. They appear to have no interest in the electorate unless they see a populist cause. From what I can see, politics is all about power.

And I am disgusted...


How much money do you actually need to have, Prime Minister?


Taking the mickey out of the rest of us.


This company, which is in charge of our offshore detention centres, is linked to the Panama Papers. What DO they have on our government...?



No comments:

Post a Comment