Sunday 24 April 2016

An Astonishing Few Days

We have just finished our fourth day of opening for the Anzac Day long weekend. We have one more day of fun and games before two days off. Not that I am complaining. I am loving going to work for the first time in my life. Wages or salary? Not a chance. Sheer enjoyment and satisfaction. One hundred percent. Watching Michael on fire as a metal artist? Gold.

I have been trying to explain the significance of Anzac Day to Bas and Pascaline, our French backpackers. I am pretty sure they don't quite get it. Celebrating a military disaster one hundred and one years ago when the Turks slaughtered the Australians and New Zealanders on an isolated beach on the other side of the world seems pretty pointless to me. Except this event is supposed to illustrate the spirit of these soldiers. Of their courage, tenacity and sheer bloody-mindedness I have no doubt. However, if we could speak to those soldiers who lost their lives, I'm sure they would have preferred to swap their heroic attributes for staying alive and returning to their families.

Anyway, I've digressed. I will not be present at the dawn service. I like my bed far too much and there is a high probability of rain. I have had the shadow of a sore throat for a few days and I am not interested in falling over. However, I am planning on opening the Gallery a bit earlier. We have an opportunity to welcome extra guests staying in Beverley over this weekend. So far, we have had our best weekend ever.

We have sold four paintings. Spiders, hand-made cards, plaques and a Dandaloo Dilly bag have all left for new homes. This means income for our artists. And some commission for us. A miracle has occurred. I will be able to pay the water rates this week...Once again, we have crawled back from the brink of financial catastrophe.

And Michael is on fire. His creativity is exploding. He has just completed another sculpture,"Ikebana", which translates as "Living Flowers". This piece is truly beautiful. And "Starbirth", now mounted above the fireplace is an extraordinary three-dimensional artwork. He is already planning fire grates and fire screens to produce as well as more of his metal flowers. I am bursting with anticipation.

Late this afternoon, we received a stunning sideboard by Steve Adams. He is a great friend of Guy Slingerland, our handyman and all-round good bloke.  This is a beautiful piece of furniture as art - distressed cupboards underneath with a superb top of jarrah. Photographs are unable to show this sideboard as superb as it is in reality. To experience its tremendous presence, come and view at the East End Gallery.

Now, we are all at home. Bas and Pascaline hope they have found the 4WD on their dreams. Michael is reclining on the couch. Dinner is almost ready. What a great end to another brilliant day.



"Starbirth"



"Ikebana"



No comments:

Post a Comment