Sunday 15 January 2023

Half Truths And Contradictions

Sunday afternoon in Heavenly Beverley. We have been home since Friday lunchtime. Just thrilled to be back in Station House again after five days in the "hotel style" environment of Hollywood Hospital.

My bruising is now "coming out". Interesting shades of colour from yellow to black stretching from my groin to my ankle. Bit stiff but still feel in control of my situation with Michael's help. So different from last time.

Here is the perfect opportunity to thank my beloved husband for attending to situations above and beyond the call of duty. I have stopped being so critical and he has responded with alacrity. Our roles have been reversed, which hasn't been easy for either of us...

In addition to being at my beck and call, he has -

  • taken over shoving a capsule down Piddling Pip's stinky mouth twice a day.
  • cleaned up the usual bodily fluids that Pip normally leaves on the lino all in his day's work.
  • cleaned up other bodily fluids that Chop the cat choose to deposit on our bedroom floor. Quite revolting...
  • following my instructions regarding animal treat management.
  • cooked or prepared meals repeatedly!
  • only pleaded for the odd fag from Paula.
  • waited patiently as I move at a snail's pace around the house or to the pub.
  • fetched and carried when asked.

Believe me, ladies and gentlemen, when I propose Michael for sainthood. He deserves a medal...

Now that the remaining brain fog has receded from my skull, I shall launch forward into a few more irritants that revolve solely around promises made by Hollywood Hospital and the staff versus actual delivery of useful information and services -

  • "hotel-style room service" didn't mean nice napkins, fine china, well presented hot and tasty food and drinks, timely delivery or even what was ordered. If Hollywood continues to promote this as a genuine advantage to other hospitals, then they need to lift their game. Please see the hospital website for their claims...
  • "individual dietary requirements" only exist in the fantasy of the patients' glossy brochure and in the bowels of the kitchens. I had stated this issue clearly prior to my admission. My expectations of lactose-free milk on the ward was not actually fulfilled for three days...Holy diarrhoea Batman!
  • instructions such as not having a pillow under my knee in hospital changed to having my knee elevated above my heart on discharge. Huh? By the way, a supported knee is so much more comfortable. This contradiction was nonsensical.
  • practical assistance such as using a sash to help me raise my operated leg independently was only given to me on Day 3. Prior to that, raising my leg had caused me huge anxiety due to pain fears.
  • directions such as not getting out of bed without nursing assistance is all well and good if bells are answered in a timely manner. I kid you not, if I had waited for my nurse, I would have soiled the bed. Every time. How's that for maintaining and reinforcing patients' dignity?
  • allergy confusion - when I was admitted, I was tolerating Palexia/Tapentadol for pain relief at home. Fast forward to my final morning and I had received all the anaesthetic drugs, fluids, meds to bring my blood pressure up, a regional pain block, IV antibiotics, blood thinners, anti inflammatories, not to mention milk with lactose that probably gave me the shits! I had been visited by Chuck Chunder on multiple occasions, had altered perceptions and intense fatigue. The Palexia and another opiate were swapped for Targin and Oxycodone (which I have only used once). Panadol Osteo is the other ingredient in my pain regime. So, what drugs am I now allergic to? How the f@#k would I know?!
     
  • the Mystery of Medications - apart from the fact that all my standard meds were locked away, with most of the nurses clueless as to their names and effects, my vitamins were not given to me once and Panadol Osteo was withheld for longer than clinically necessary. On my last night, I was informed I would be having my Targin and Panadol and 8pm and then at 8am. After I protested, the Panadol was adjusted to be given at 6am, which simple mathematics will confirm was 10 hours between doses. The instructions for Panadol Osteo state 2 caplets can be given every 6-8 hours. Pain management, one of the hospital's primary concerns following joint replacement surgery, was not executed well in my instance. The final disappointment was being given uncoated aspirin and additional Somac when I had actually requested coated aspirin on discharge. *Sigh*

My previous plaudits towards the hospital and staff still stand and now extend to Jake, who helped Michael and I with our myriad possessions on discharge, the ever patient food handling assistants, Lee the cleaner and the maintenance chap who fixed the manhole cover and replaced a bulb. These are the mostly unsung heroes and heroines who improved the quality of our hospital stay.

Private hospitals charge a premium rate and ought to provide better care, services and outcomes for patients. But touting about "hotel-style" facilities is a bit much. Please just provide the best possible treatment for patients without promising  unrealistic expectations. 

What has happened to nursing care? Last night, at the pub of course, former nurse Janet, current remote nurse Martin and I pondered this situation. Perhaps some of the past archaic practices of nursing - such as focusing on patients' comfort and well being have been lost and urgently need to be reinstated. Nurses treating each of their patients as individuals, working to each patient's plan and assisting each other in a coherent team would be a great start.

 As they stand, I shall be avoiding hospitals at all costs in the future. They are not places I wish to frequent.

 

  

Welcome to Hollywood Hospital, where your needs will be met...

 

 
What being in hospital often feels like..


 

  

 

What pain feels like...

 

 
Other complications, which are often preventable...

What I needed on more than one occasion! 


Sorry, but I had to add a bit of levity!


 
Other useful additions to a hospital bag...
 
 
 
Interesting chart...

 
I agree with this mantra as well...

 
Surely team and patient centred nursing will provide better outcomes and support for all.



However, NOTHING beats this!

No comments:

Post a Comment