Sunday 19 May 2019

Observations By An Election Day Volunteer

For anybody either not in Australia or deliberately hiding from reality, yesterday ushered in yet another Federal Election. These tedious events occur every three years or so and involve us casting votes for a government that probably doesn't give a toss about most of the electors. Having said that, I am a passionate supporter of compulsory voting, as I abhor the concept of all the lunatics taking over the asylum altogether.

As I have said time and time again, I am a classic swinging voter. I have voted for most of the major political parties throughout my adulting years. I will support any elected representative who works in the best interests of the seat, the community or myself. In the case of Mister Christian Porter, the Liberal member for the electorate of Pearce, I remain unconvinced of any altruistic motivations.

Pearce happens to be the electorate in which we live. It is a seat of contrasts over a wide area, stretching from the northern suburbs of Perth and coastal hamlets, through the mortgage belt into the semi-rural and rural, including a number of regional Wheatbelt towns. Mr Porter, a previous Western Australian state politician, moved into the bigger arena of Federal parliament after he decided that he was meant for a greater calling.

Three years ago, I asked for a meeting with Mister Porter, then Social Services minister. As his constituent, I believed he was well placed to assist in a major issue. The Swan Friendship Cafe, located in the neighbouring seat of Hasluck, held by Liberal Ken Wyatt, was in danger of having to close its doors. The Cafe had been operated for a number of years by a not-for-profit organisation, the Swan Friendship Club and run by Maria Sergiovanni and other volunteers. The Cafe had employed up to eight young people with disabilities, including my son Alex. Due to rising costs and the necessity of a supervising full-time chef, the Cafe was in dire need of additional funding sources. Along with the Club's treasurer Joe Sergiovanni, we approached Mister Porter to outline the social and economic impacts of the Cafe and to discuss a case for a financial injection.

We were rejected outright by Mister Porter. Alex has never been in paid employment since. Along with four staffers, he sat opposite us across a large meeting room table. Halfway through the discussion, he verbally pointed out Michael's and my pension status. The purpose of Mister Porter's interjection has never been explained by him...

Fast forward three years. We had become aware of other instances of Mister Porter's indifference to other constituents. Hence, I formed the decision that I could not vote for him and that I needed to make a personal stance.

I signed up to give out "how-to-vote" information for the Other Side. Which is why I found myself at our local school (the designated voting station for Beverley) on a freezing morning. I committed to operating the Labor stand until one o'clock. In the interests of goodwill, I turned up with orange muffins to share with the other volunteers. As far as I was concerned, I was undertaking a public service and needed to behave in a civilised and friendly manner.

We all introduced ourselves. The Liberal volunteers included a well-off farming couple, who counted Mister Porter as a friend. When I explained my previous encounter with Mister Porter as my reasoning for supporting Labor in this election, I was quickly put in my place. That can't have been how it happened...he wouldn't do that...suddenly, I found myself labelled a liar.

After that, the conservative volunteers all stuck to themselves, apart for accepting a cupcake each. I had brought a folding chair with me, which quickly became an emergency sitting point for some of Beverley's frailer voters.

Whoever was the bright spark who designated walking almost the length of our school to the polling booths was a good idea should be hunted down and shot. Numerous residents with walking sticks, on walkers, in wheelchairs or on gophers had to negotiate a gravel driveway before joining the footpath. At least twice, I went to the assistance of people having difficulty with the distance. A friend with emphysema completely lost his puff and had to stop. One chap had arrived without his walker and was unable to continue. With the help of his wife, we quickly whipped my chair underneath him. I then organised an electoral officer to come to him and record his vote. Another of the volunteers offered his help as well. The conservative volunteers all stood there and did nothing.

After I'd left, my chair came to the rescue again. Vanessa (who took over from me) and Vicky from the IGA had to leap into action to calm and seat an elderly diabetic chap whose blood sugar has crashed. The ambos were called and he was duly taken to hospital.

What I was not expecting was the venom of some voters. The stiff-upper-lip farming chap (apart from dismissing my word) warned that a Labor victory was akin to Dante's Inferno. Others in attendance were rude or offensive. Fear and fury seemed to be the catalysts leading to their voting. Logic and reason were not high on the agenda. Yet, if I mentioned any objection to the Liberal cause, I was told I was completely wrong and probably unhinged in my views. Interesting.

I worked tirelessly, smiling endlessly, was well-mannered and promoted the wood raffle and sausage sizzle, which were a part and parcel of an election day fixture. The conservative volunteers were decidedly unenthusiastic towards either of these endeavours. Disappointing.

The election has been fought. The conservatives have been returned. Mister Porter has remained as the Liberal member for Pearce. As a Labor supporter this time, I admit to pangs of regret. But, will the world end due to this result? No more than it would have ended if Labor had won.

There is some very good news for the Prime Minister. A Liberal lunatic has lost his seat and can no longer launch barbs from the side. A very large so-called businessman from Queensland won no seats. A red-headed alternative politician, also from Queensland, won no seats. Their preferences flowed into the conservative coffers. Scott Morrison must be counting his blessings.

As a result of the LNP win, I am setting them some challenges on behalf of myself, my family and the wider community. The Liberal Party spoke repeatedly of "Return to Surplus", "The Bill Australia Can't Afford", "Back in Black" or "Building Our Economy, Securing Our Future". I am hoping that the government produces policies for all Australians, not just the privileged few. This may be the ultimate pipe dream, but in no particular order, my wish list includes -


  • tax cuts for low and middle-income earners
  • a stimulus package to encourage consumer spending
  • a rise in payments for those on pensions or particularly Newstart
  • a focus on rewarding employment services, particularly disability services, that place clients in ongoing work
  • funding for those businesses (including not-for-profit organisations) that employ people with disabilities on a long term basis
  • a living wage for those who volunteer in their communities and an acknowledgement that all volunteers provide a valuable contribution
  • a reduction of inflammatory language towards those living in poverty
  • a balance of international and Australian university students so all receive a quality education
  • a coordinated national approach to all schools, with appropriate funding to those schools with vulnerable or problematic students, an emphasis on employing male teachers to provide positive role models, reduction in class sizes or a significant increase in classroom support for teachers and education assistants and ancillary staff available for breakfast clubs, after-school activities and as emergency respondents
  • a sensible non-partisan approach to asylum seekers, as their plight is currently never-ending and imprisoning them is not the answer.
As an aside, I would like an apology from the Beverley conservative farmer and volunteer, who refused to accept my story. Oh, and a re-launch of the Swan Friendship Cafe.




The incumbent...


The challenger...


Analysis of the election result...


My dreams...


In the evil red teeshirt...


Volunteers to the left and to the right...


Sausage sizzle team...


Wood raffle with Lisa.






No comments:

Post a Comment