Tuesday 13 February 2018

How's The Serenity?

During the classic Australian movie, "The Castle", Darryl Kerrigan marvels at the little piece of paradise he and his family have created with their holiday shack in the small Victorian village of Bonnie Doon. "How's the serenity?" Darryl asks.

There has been rather an abundance of serenity during our stay here at Simon's house. Sunday, after the excitement of dinner at the South Kolan Pub, was a marvellously lazy "slob day". We sat on the breezy verandah, had a midday snooze and retired to the river for a mid-afternoon bob. Armed with life jackets, kick boards and a noodle each, we made our way down the terrifyingly steep steps to a small clearing. Then we all gingerly negotiated the final concrete stairs into the river.

Immediate bliss. The Burnett is deep on Simon's edge of the river, apparently about seven metres. Even so, Michael and Simon both claimed they felt a marine body as they entered the water. General consensus was a lung fish. This was one instance I didn't mind being short. I felt absolutely nothing underfoot and had no desire to discover if something scaly lurked beneath me.

The water was just a slightly cool temperature. With our life vests and noodles, we bobbed around in the river with no effort whatsoever. I had a few kicks with a board, testing my dodgy knee and delighted with no pain at all.

The agony commenced with the climb back to Simon's house. And my knee was not the culprit. By the time I staggered up the final step, my right thigh was locked and wobbly. My left thigh was coming in a close second. I am still suffering two days later. I would have gone back to the river for a swim today but Michael refused point blank to accompany me. Thus, I was able to chicken out gracefully.

Our niece Sarah, her partner Geoff and their daughter Jess arrived for a BBQ dinner. I had marinated some steak. Sarah prepared veggies. Simon and Geoff were Commanders of the barbie. Jess provided the young chic look. As her wise and mature great aunt, I quizzed Jess on her new boyfriend, to ascertain whether he was foreman material. He appeared to pass primary muster. I was able to give them my blessing.

The day ended as it had started - in quiet contemplation of our navels.

We could get quite used to this lifestyle...



Breakfast @ Simon's...


Sod off, I'm eating...


I'm sure there's more in here...


How's the serenity?


Jess, obviously aghast at my line of questioning...!


The motley crew...


plus fat girl in pink!


"The Castle"


The Kerrigan family and Bonnie Doon.



No comments:

Post a Comment