Sunday 12 March 2017

Commiserations to Commander Colin

I wrote this post in my head whilst I had my shower. Now washed and dressed for the punters, I can give full rein to my considered version of the Western Australian state election. I have read, with much amusement, my fellow commentators' opinions and observations. I can add to this post mortem as somebody who actually voted in this massacre.

The WA election result is a rout. There was nothing of the "It's Time" theme that the former premier used to justify the Liberals' disastrous showing.

No, Mr Barnett and his party do not deserve tea and sympathy. I listened to his speech conceding the defeat of his government. There was no demonstration of awareness, understanding or empathy with the electorate. And with the co-operation of the Federal Liberals, Mr Barnett had shafted his conservative partners, the Nationals, to try and attract votes with the lunatic One Nation Party.

Epic fail. And I believe many West Australians actually thought long and hard about their votes in order to send a very loud and clear message to the newly departed. Which the former premier appears to be blind, obtuse or plain dumb to this fact.

Most of my friends would consider me to be very much to the Left. Except I can also be the classic swinging voter. Give me a local member who actually makes some sense, listens to my issues and supports the electorate and I will vote for that person. Those reasons drove my choice for the Nationals' Mia Davies. Having said that, I then placed the Labor party at the top of my Upper House (the house of review) choices. I numbered every box carefully, all fifty-one of them. This form of voting was a first for me. I really analysed every candidate. I actually felt the power.

Following Mr Barnett's woefully inadequate concession speech, I watched the speech of our incoming premier, Mr Mark McGowan. He was gracious, thankful and reasonably humble. Surrounded by his family and the party faithful, he was everything that Colin Barnett was not.

Western Australians are holding our collective breaths to some extent. Mr McGowan has been given the mandate to govern our state. We don't mind if he disappoints us or can't deliver on all those pesky promises.

Just listen to us, please. And never lie to us.

This coming Friday, we are being honoured with a visit at the Hotel Beverley by our fearless Federal Member and Minister for Social Services, Mr Christian Porter. A Pint and Politics with Porter. A Chat with Christian. On Saturday morning, he is taking part in the Beverley Triathlon. What a golden opportunity to mingle with his electorate.

Except I know and he knows and the Liberals know that this is the beginning of the run-up to the next Federal election. Mr Porter wants to start gauging his seat. Meet with the masses. As a consummate politician, he understands the need to keep crunching those numbers.

I am a round,  middle-aged woman with dyed red hair. I love big colourful earrings. I wear a lot of hand-me-downs. I am married to the light of my life, Michael. He successfully applied for a Disability Support Pension after his health was wrecked by both his work in the mining industry and personal reasons. I am his carer. Our daughter Vanessa currently receives a Disability Support Pension. God love her - she wants to work in a government graduate programme when she completes her masters. My son Callum has endured the swings and roundabouts of the hospitality industry for nearly ten years. My younger son Alex also receives a Disability Support Pension. In the last seven years since he left school, he has not been able to obtain any ongoing employment. And not for want of trying.

So, I am looking forward to seeing Mr Porter at the pub this Friday afternoon. To listen to him. To hope for more than just party rhetoric. For signs that he genuinely cares for his constituents and wants to make our lives better. Or at least that he will make decisions designed for the good of his electorate and thus himself and his party.

I hope the state election has rattled every conservative politician in Canberra. Because they should be rattled. Our Western Australian federal politicians seem to lose all connection with their state when they make the trip to the wilds of Canberra.

As for Mr Barnett, I will not be shedding any tears for his loss. I expect there to be much blood letting through what is left of the Liberal ranks. A leader who orchestrated such a disaster will not remain at the top. He will retire on his parliamentary pension and ponder how this defeat came to be.

Insight appears to be a rare trait amongst the power brokers. Maybe this election will jog a few psyches. Maybe even for the better. Either way, the boom has been lowered.





The Commander, the Heir Apparent and that one Relative everybody has in their families.



The Incumbant and his missus casting their votes in the sanctity of Cottosloe...



whilst the Family Man casts his vote in the deep south!



 A thumping victory for Labor's Mark McGowan


 Whilst Mia Davies, quiet achiever and our Nationals state member increased her majority in her one hundred thousand square kilometre electorate of  Central Wheatbelt.


And what will Mr Porter be saying this coming Friday afternoon at the Hotel Beverley?

Stay tuned.










No comments:

Post a Comment