Sunday 28 August 2016

But Wait. There's More... (to Loic and Manon)

We have really, really hit the jackpot.

Today is Day 3 of our newest HelpXers staying with us. Loic and Manon are energetic, keen, amiable, artistic and intelligent. And fun.

God, I hope they don't become bored with us too soon.

I am slowly learning more about them. So far, I have learnt that Loic's mum is Algerian and Manon is an artist (and an incredibly gifted one). Loic can plough through any meal with gusto, whereas Manon is slightly more picky. Manon's surname means "Black Cat" in English, which I think is pretty awesome. They love crumpets for breakfast. Their photographs tell their stories of people and places they have been.

Watching their body language and how they touch and relate to each other, they seem to have a very special relationship. I sometimes feel almost embarrassment observing them, even if they are speaking French and I don't understand a word they are saying. They remind me of  Michael's and my relationship, only I had to wait until I was forty-seven to meet the love of my life.

We are all still at the stage of being relatively polite, so my hope is that they feel comfortable enough to share more of themselves. And I'd love to see Manon paint in the Gallery. Her style is eclectic but very obviously from her heart. Maybe I can convince her as I get to know her better.

The dogs all adore them and that is the absolute sign they are Good Guys. Ruby's adoration is totally smell driven as she loves to explore their backpacks, their rubbish bin and any other delectable object they leave out. Sascha wanted to join them on the couch last night - a sure sign of her undying affection. And Pip is besotted with Loic. Given Pip's track record of biting undesirables in the past,  I trust his judgements implicitly. The cat has no taste and is currently ignoring them.

And the mammoth task of moving materials is being made so much easier with their arrival. For the last month or so, Michael had only had to glance at his extraordinary collection before he fled. The operation was just beyond him. Until now.

The weather continues cold and miserable. I am waiting with eager anticipation the arrival of spring. We want to take them out so they can start seeing some of this country. Both locally and further afield if time permits. Given the amount of rain we have had this year, the wildflowers alone (which have already started further north) will be spectacular and we know the Goldfields would be different from most other places they have been.

I have an ulterior motive of course. I have been watching them help Michael reconstruct his huge metal shelving unit in the workshop[. Given my uselessness at following instructions and my lack of spatial awareness, I am sure they would be far more useful than me in assisting Michael set up camping spots.















No comments:

Post a Comment