Sunday 22 May 2016

Metamorphosis of a Firescreen

The firescreen is in-situ. I am impatiently waiting for the metal artist to return from some male bonding out the back with Gary. As long as he's not having a fag, I can wait. Gives me some time to talk about the firescreen's creation. We have decided not to light the fire as the weather is turning foul again and we need to do home and get washing off the line.

Whenever Michael explains his next project, my lack of spacial awareness prevents me from seeing what he does. I usually smile and say "yes dear" and get on with whatever I'm doing.  Then, as the next piece takes shape, I spend the whole process in a state of awe and wonder.

The design and construction of this firescreen have been new experiences. Michael, having made square and rectangular firescreens previously, departed out of his comfort zone to produce one with a domed top. And as we are now perpetually broke, he had to recycle and fabricate every part himself.

The curved top was the first big challenge. A two person job to bend the steel whilst heating it. Michael asked me to help him with this task. After I fell off my chair laughing at his request, I seriously wondered if I would be any use whatsoever. I wasn't.

My contribution included bending the steel upwards instead of remaining flat. Then, even more scarily, Michael gave me the heat gun. After heating up the actual steel for too long, warping it out of shape, as well as trying to set fire to various sundry objects in the workshop, Michael admitted what I already knew. My fabrication skills were not up to scratch.

The next two days Michael had Ryan's help. Which meant the curved top was resurrected and completed with a minimum of fuss. Then the doors were constructed. Doors, what doors? The only firescreen I'd ever owned consisted of one rectangular piece that moved by being lifted out of the way of the fireplace. I had the first inkling that this was going to be rather more sophisticated.

Then the mesh was laid out, which had to be pop-rivetted to the door frames. Which began with drilling a multitude of holes for the pop rivets to be popped. There was definitely more to this firescreen building that met the eye.

And the hinges. Made by Michael and then welded into position on the edges of the frame. Then he decided to add bolts to the front so the doors could be secured. This was yesterday afternoon's job. Except, Michael temporarily lost his mind and attached the bolts to both doors. Which stymied being able to open the doors. At all.

The issue was rectified today. And the whole screen was painted in black. The finishing touches - drilling attachment points to the fireplace bricks. Fixing the fire screen in place. Admiring the finished product. Taking photos.

Wow...


In The Beginning...there was a Disaster...



then Michael began the Task of Resurrection...



 Some random fat woman in front of the nearly restored fireplace...

And behold, It was finished... 




But wait, there was more. First the fire grate...



The firescreen begins...with the curved top...


and doors...


 Ryan showing off the developing frame...


with recycled mesh and a slight issue with the hinges!


Checking the fit...perfect...


Painted and in place!


The finished product...



with the doors opened to full width.



I decided to show the bandaged (rather than unbandaged!) wound.

DONE!


No comments:

Post a Comment