Thursday 5 May 2016

I'm Dancing as Fast as I can.

Thursday night. I should be on top of my game. Yesterday, Michael managed to stay out of hospital by receiving his antibiotic IV infusion with the fabulous Doctor Susie Stevenson in York. He sees her again tomorrow for another infusion and a check-up. She is the only GP we have encountered who has ever suggested an alternative to oral antibiotics for Michael out of hospital.  So, she has become our go to doctor of choice. Thank you, Susie.

Then why do I feel like I have been run over by a truck? I am tired all the time. I understand stress. My job is to have a lot on my plate. I have a beloved husband with chronic health conditions to keep me on my toes, particularly during the cooler months.

Alex is facing unemployment if the Swan Friendship Cafe, Midland closes. Our autistic superstar lives for a career in a kitchen. Since he left school in 2009, he has attended and successfully completed two hospitality courses, had countless tryouts, a few short term contracts and endless trotting to his three separate disability employment support agencies. The Swan Friendship Cafe is his key to self-worth, self-esteem and self-love. This is the place Alex feels confident and competent. And without funding, by 20 May, for this worthwhile enterprise, his world will fall apart.

So I've started a petition on Change.org - "Save the Swan Friendship Cafe". I've participated in a radio interview. I've written to politicians. I have posted updates on Facebook. I will walk naked down the main street of Beverley if the Swan Friendship Cafe closes. I have promised Alex.

Vanessa's path through her Masters is a rollercoaster of calm and chaos. She is so awesome when in control, so frenetic when under the pump. She adores us both but needs our unconditional support at times. Which is easy to give when we are relaxed, not so easy if we are dealing with our own issues.

Cal has just changed jobs. He is now working as a duty manager at a busy hotel. This is the job he has been waiting for. He is challenged, busy and completely overwhelmed at present. He will get there as he's smart, efficient and energetic. But I worry about him.

Then there was the visit from the Ranger. Somebody locally has complained that our dogs bark at night. Except they haven't barked since 27 April. And they know us well, apparently. So how does the complainant know our dogs are causing the disturbance. We are surrounded by dogs. They all bark day and night. One starts and the rest follow. and we have had a lot of foxes around lately. Which the dogs hear and respond to their presence. When I suggested to the Ranger that foxes were the root of the problem, he told us to set traps. Which would not be on our property. The Ranger was there to snoop. He asked about our dogs' registrations. They are all registered. Were three dogs approved by council? We had no idea. Not good enough. He asked about the dogs' microchipping. I wrote a letter to the shire explaining we I wanted to exempt two of our dogs. One is Sascha, an elderly Weimaraner. The other is Pip, a rescue dog who was totally traumatised as a pup and does not cope with being handled by unfamiliar people. We never received acknowledgement of these letters so I forgot about the issue. Not good enough, according to the Ranger. He  entered our house in order to entrap us. Simple as that.

We feel violated. I was really upset. I hope the person who made the complaint is delighted with the outcome. The Ranger had no idea of people skills. After his visit, we went for a gentle walk. Helped. Then onto the doctor's visit. Home after five.

I had huge trouble waking up this morning. Michael wanted to work on "The Black Dog is Back", so he opened the Gallery for me. I arrived at noon. All afternoon, I was waiting to be exhilarated as I usually am at the East End Gallery.

Not today. I am just tired. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a new, better day.







No comments:

Post a Comment