Tuesday 29 December 2015

Contemplating a New Word for the New Year!

Today is hot in Heavenly Beverley. Bloody hot. If God is having a lend of us, thanks very much God, can we please have a reduction in temperature tomorrow, so we can't cook a lamb loin in Matt Moran's car? (For those who aren't Australian, chef Matt Moran demonstrated the dangers of hot cars by cooking meat inside his car).

Because of the heat, I think my brain is wandering in rather unusual directions. When the heat outside is like stepping into a blast furnace, there is not much to do except finish the dishes (done), clean the kitchen (done), vacuum the latest spiders and webs on the ceiling (done by Michael) and abandon taking out the washing yet.

We have water in bowls everywhere throughout the property so the birds have somewhere to cool off. The garden itself is gasping, but it is pointless to splash water around yet. Either at dusk or after dark, we'll emerge to man the hoses to attempt resuscitation of our plants. Undoubtedly, there will be corpses after the last couple of days.

Anyway, I've digressed, so back to what I laughingly refer to as my mind. I have been pondering creating a new word. As least I think it's a new word. I look forward to being corrected if the word already exists!

We had hot turducken with veggies on Christmas Day evening as the temperature was surprisingly mild. This is one of the delicious delights I enjoy at Christmas - along with the eggnog, rum balls and apple spice muffins. Washed down with copious amounts of vino. Of course.

Turducken is chicken inside a duck inside a turkey. All wrapped in bacon. Stuffing on the inside. Holy cholesterol, I hear. Yes, but we only have it once a year. Yum. And we are still eating it, as the rolled poultry, which cost a hair-raising forty-five dollars, has been the base for three meals so far.

The only disappointment about the turducken is its name. What's special about it? It sounds boring and beige and not particularly exciting. Which is very unfair, as it is one of those unforgettable Christmas foods that I wait for, with bated breath, every year.

A name change for it is in order. I propose "turkenduck". Note to self, add turkenduck to Grammarly at the end of this post so it stops flashing a red underline under the word each time I write it.

For me, turkenduck flashes images before my eyes of a sort of  Lawrence of Arabia, Hagia Sophia, Sahara or James Bond in "From Russia with Love" kind of poultry character. A swashbuckling hero, fighting his way to the dinner table, so we can sample his exotic wares. Draped in a turban and flowing white robes, turkenduck exudes the sense of a thrilling adventurer, with a dashing turkey face, a feathered Douglas Fairbanks heart-throb adored by legions of lady turkeys, ducks and chickens. Boldly going where no boring, beige bird has gone before.

Can you think turkenduck will catch on as a new name? With marketing like mine, I have no doubts!


Turkenduck...three superheroes in one!


Enjoying a sleep in together...


Preferred mode of transport...


Is this Turkenduck in his mild-mannered alter ego?


No, definitely this is Turkenduck incognito...


Sending lady poultry pulses skyrocketing!





2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, I enjoy your posts, I found you in a long drawn out way but I am glad I did! We call the bird you mention - here in England - a three bird roast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caron, thank you very much for your comments. I definitely think this Christmas poultry deserves a much more heroic name after reading your response. Three bird roast indeed! Turkenduck forever! PS will now fix a couple of glaring spelling errors missed during the original frenzy of writing. Have a great day and wish you and your family well for 2016.

    ReplyDelete