Thursday 31 December 2015

Being Compared to a Wildebeest!

Michael has been known to have the odd bizarre dream. Very bizarre. Usually, his dreams also induce a rambling semi-consciousness, so I may find myself having extraordinary conversations with him quite unexpectedly in the middle of the night. How's that for spontaneous?

He often wakes with no memory at all of these midnight chats. Occasionally, his memory can be jogged if I can remember enough of our antics in the morning. He will begin by staring at me as if I'm talking gobbledegook, then as recollection dawns, he will be at a complete loss to offer any logical explanation for these occurrences. Which is endlessly amusing.

Last night's dream and subsequent communication were a bit beyond the pale. After a nocturnal encounter with wildebeest - and I have absolutely no idea of the context - I found myself being compared to one of them. Apart from the obvious weirdness, I didn't know whether to be offended or complimented.

From my knowledge of wildebeest, they are quite social beings, live in large herds and look after their young. All good so far. On the downside, they are not particularly attractive creatures - rather like a cross between a moose and an antelope - with large heads, hairstyles by powerpoint and faces rather like the south end of the north going camel. Sure their offspring are quite cute, but unfortunately, they grow up into most ungainly looking creatures like their parents.

And they seem to have a curious predilection for crossing rivers swarming with crocodiles. Or alligators. I'm not sure which. But we've all seen those wildlife documentaries about migrating herds of wildebeest crossing swollen rivers and some not quite making it to the other side...

Which does not appear to speak volumes about their logic or adaptability. So, there we were, in bed in the darkness, having the strangest discussion about wildebeest. And some obscure similarity to me.

I am still struggling with any possible hidden meaning. True to form, Michael stared at me with blank, confused innocence as I regaled the latest bedtime story. After some time, I did notice the lightbulb moment when he did actually recall the dream.

But an explanation from the deep recesses of his mind? He has no idea and I am left closely watching myself for any increase of facial hair, additional appendages or a mounting fondness for vegetables.



Don't go in there...


Not model material...


On the other hand, maybe Michael was comparing me to a wildebeest baby. Which are somewhat more attractive...



No comments:

Post a Comment