Thursday 16 July 2015

Entertaining the Seniors.

Today was a rip-roaring, manic paced, wild ride in the East End Gallery. I knew we would be busy; I knew we would be crowded. But I had no idea of the scale of the operation of which I had innocently agreed to be a part.

Give me the D-Day landings. Give me the Siege of Troy. Give me the Hundred Years War (which actually lasted 116 years). These would have been a piece of cake compared to the logistics of this morning's event. As I write this, I am home physically shattered after the onslaught. And Stacey does this every day...!

I haven't seen Stacey Dowding for twenty years. She and I were buddies when both our youngest sons were diagnosed with congenital heart defects. James and Alex are now adults, living independent lives. Stacey hasn't aged a day. She is exactly as I remember her.

I caught up with her on Facebook. I have laughed out loud at her posts of "having a Chardy at the Kardy". Now I know why she drinks....Stacey works as a seniors' co-ordinator/ superwoman  at Greendale Community Centre in Armadale. I have seen numerous photos of her dress ups at clients' lunches and some of her costumes have been unforgettable.

A couple of months ago, Stacey asked me about bringing a busload of her elderly clients to Heavenly Beverley. No problem. I'll do morning tea. Couldn't be difficult. Surely.

The troops arrived en masse at about a quarter to eleven. I was already a bit worried as Stacey had indicated there would be around thirty-five of the frail old dears. I hoped they would not all want a muffin as I only had twenty-six of them. Never mind, I thought, I'll just top them up with biscuits.

They erupted off the bus. They just kept coming. They scattered to the public toilets and into the Gallery. I already had one kettle boiled, but I had failed to realise that I would need more boiling water. A lot more boiling water.

A stampede would have been gentler. As soon as I'd emptied the kettle and filled it again, they were closing in on me like barracudas. "Where's the hot water" and "I think it's boiling" and "you should have a big kettle on your fire" were some of the comments flying around. The muffins vanished. The biscuits were consumed. After three kettles of boiling water, everyone had finally been given a cup of tea or coffee. I don't think I have ever worked so hard in my life.

I raced up the street to the CRC to ask them to open the Aeronautical Museum. The oldies had already beaten me to it. The Museum was open and they were in. I walked a couple of ladies up to "All Things Beautiful and "Unique State". They found their own way to "Lucky Find".

They had lunch at the Freemason's Tavern. Apparently, the meal was very good. At around half past two, Stacey somehow ensured they were all back on the buses. She left with a blast of her horn announcing their departure.

Frail aged? I don't think so. These were not gentle old dears. Feisty, opinionated, witty, forward, brave and very sharp. They came, they swarmed, they left. I loved every minute of it. But I am so glad I will not be having another busload in the East End Gallery tomorrow.

I had a final conversation with a fabulous lady named Joan. She was the last one on the bus. She had a walker. We chatted about where she could travel next. I offered to take her camping to Eulaminna in September. Her eyes lit up. She had worked in the mining industry, participated in the Sydney - Hobart yacht race, restored a pioneer cottage near Esperance and travelled through the Himalayas. She was alive and kicking. She may well just decide to pack up her walker and come with us...

Her final comment was priceless. She didn't use computers much since the departure of floppy discs! But she was still savvy enough to go online, so I suggested she check out Michael's photos of the Goldfields. Joan, in case you haven't remembered, just google "spider52".

I have one regret about today. I didn't take any photos! Stacey, please can you send me some?!



The oldies' sedate speed around Beverley....



and how I think some of them travel in their minds!


No comments:

Post a Comment