Friday 17 July 2015

A Great Birthday in the East End Gallery.

As I sit here in the Gallery, I am bopping along to music from "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert". I am feeling particularly loved today. What else could a birthday girl wish for?

I have been inundated with birthday wishes on Facebook and through e-mail. I have had phone calls from Callum and Vanessa (who is currently roaring her way up to Beverley in her white charger with one of my adopted daughters Jacinta) and Brenda, I have been spoilt rotten by Michael, my lovely sister in law Sandra, Judy and Lucky and Callum and Bron. Gorgeous Val was waiting for me this morning outside the Gallery and she, Shane and their kids gave me a book of love quotes.  I suspect Vanessa will be arriving with a pot of gerberas. Callum has been particularly inventive. He is known for his rippingly great presents, but this year, he has outdone himself. He and my lovely intended daughter in law and my grand kitten contributed $50 to our Indiegogo campaign.

I am stoked. I have always loved celebrations - birthdays, anniversaries and Christmas - but the years keep getting better and better. Michael is the man of my dreams, the man I hoped for, the man I dared not think would love me. I keep waiting to see if the thrill of being with him ever lessens. And it doesn't. Every day I wake up next to him is the best day of my life.

And this birthday, we have been sent an extra member of our family. Madlen, our German angel, is working away on the spectacular cracks in Shop 1. She is as smart as a whip, eager, reliable and resourceful. She only needs to be shown a new skill once. Michael is thrilled. He has taken to setting her a task, wandering away to make more spiders and then returning when she finishes the current job. At last, he feels like he is moving on with the renovations again without becoming exhausted. And having time to be creative as well.

We have had a number of visitors in the Gallery during the day. It's quiet now and I shall soon shut up shop and head for home.

Tonight, Michael, Vanessa, Jacinta, Madlen and me will be dining at the Freemasons' Pub. I will be surrounded by some of the people I care about and loving those by long distance who can't be with us. What could be better for my birthday than this?



Still smiling... Madlen in shop 1


Finished crack in Shop 1


We're turning her into an Australian. Note the bucket she's sitting on


In full throttle at the Gallery yesterday


Michael relaxing after a hard day's work with his two Rubies - the fickle fair weather feline and the mind-bogglingly food focused Beagle!



No comments:

Post a Comment