Monday 4 March 2024

That Ultimate Quest - The Elusive Search For A Comfortable Bra...

 Bra...brassiere...intimate apparel...underclothing...over the shoulder boulder holder...

Whichever term women use for that supposedly supportive garment may also be prefaced by an expletive. There are literally squillions of bras on the market, yet I suggest that actually finding a comfortable one is comparable to the Holy Grail.

And finding more than one bra if you happen to hit the jackpot. Good luck.

I used to visit Myers to get measured by one of the ladies in the underwear department. Once in a blue moon, I would be rewarded by being fitted with a bra that did the job. In a moment of intense excitement, I would then want to purchase four of that particular brand. This act was always deemed impossible. The excuses that were given ranged from only having one bra in that size or that the bra was being discontinued and no more were available.

Over recent years, I have survived on hand-me-downs, crop tops and cheap options from the chain stores. Universally, these were unsatisfactory, provided little support and most became uncomfortable throughout the day.

A couple of months ago, I began researching bras online. I had previously resisted going down this road as I believed measuring myself at home would be too difficult and unreliable. Taking a deep breath, I plunged into the World Wide Web, hoping for a miracle.

One of the problems facing women is that we don't tend to fall into standardised sizes. Take me, for example. I am currently quite round, but my bust size remains stubbornly a B cup. Which means I need a bra with a wide back. Plus I have narrow shoulders, so thin straps just fall off. Continually. Throw in my desire for cotton cups as I am prone to eczema. And front closure to remove those comical physical antics of attempting to secure a bra at the back. At home, I have taken to going bra-less, which is less than ideal for my saggy 62 year old boobs.

Then, almost by chance, I discovered "Exquisite Form". Back support, wide straps, cotton cups and front closure. Available in a B cup. Ye Gods. I took courage in hand and ordered four bras, carefully reading the returns policy. I even discovered a site that offered free delivery across Australia. 

My "Exquisite Form" bras arrived last Thursday. I washed them carefully and waited for them to air-dry. Unfortunately, due to unseasonably humid conditions, my brand spanking new bras took over a day to dry. Last week, they would have been crispy within two hours.

My first bra was still slightly damp when I tried it on yesterday. The fit was snug, the straps fabulously immovable and the cup size correct. I could not believe my luck. 

Perfection? The jury was still out last night. I had worn my "Exquisite Form" for ten hours. I removed it with some relief about seven o'clock last night. Most of the discomfort was caused by the intense humidity, leaving a rather distinct line under my bust.

This morning, I persevered until the fit was fabulous. I had pulled the bottom of the bra too low, resulting in rolling. I readjusted until the bra was sitting snugly under my bust. I could have jumped for joy. My "Exquisite Form" is is, unbelievably, perfection!

Stay tuned.

 
No wonder women have no much trouble finding a well-fitting bra...

 
I think all women learn how to perform this talent!
 
  
 
Raspberries to the world of bras...

 
The frustration...

 
The bloody discomfort...

 
What is so hard about producing a comfortable bra?!

 
God, I know what she's thinking...

Just no...

 
After 48 years of wearing bras (excluding maternity bras), a miracle has come my way...


I am besotted with my "Exquisite Form" bras and I learnt how to take my bust measurements accurately!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment