Monday 30 October 2023

Another Week, Another Event In Heavenly Beverley...

Spring is bopping along merrily with fine days and mild nights. We have had a few hot days, unusual in October and harvest is underway due to a drier than average winter. This evening, on my leisurely stroll with the canine clowns, the pool's lawn was being mowed and the Beverley Horse and Pony Club was being prepared for this weekend's Tetrathlon. Pardon, I hear you all asking? Apparently this is a four stage competition, featuring riding, shooting, running and swimming. Tetrathlon has a strong following in Western Australia and is particularly popular with boys and young men. I must make sure to pop down to the venue with my trusty digital camera to catch some of the action.

This fast approaching Saturday night will be the debut of the Brothers in Arms band, featuring our own local hero, Mister Guy Slingerland. I believe the show promises to be a sellout. We will be immersed in this performance, from dancing along with "Twisting by the Pool" right through to contemplating  the futility of the Falklands War in the haunting "Brothers in Arms".

I will be reporting on both these exciting events in due course. Last Friday and Saturday saw the spectacle of Beverley's annual Rose Show and Quilt Exhibition. This is definitely a Big Deal in Beverley's calendar. In my role as roving reporter and tourism touter, I made sure I attended the Town Hall to record the occasion for posterity.

The rose and quilt exhibitors certainly met the brief of colour and diversity. For a two-dollar entry, I was enchanted by both the flowers and the quilts. I wandered happily about taking numerous snaps for this post. 

I am now a convert to the exquisite nature of rose blooms. Admiring other people's roses has allowed me to retain my laissez-faire method of gardening focusing on more forgiving plants. I have never successfully grown roses, usually due to my tried and trusted method of pruning them to ground level in response to an outbreak of black spot. I do not like rose thorns and I don't have the bravery or patience for all that feeding, trimming and careful application of water. And thanks to the Rose Show, I can enjoy the flowers without all that hard work.

As for quilting, that is another beautiful hobby I will never take up. Back in Year 5 at primary school, I successfully sewed the apron I was creating to my school uniform. The sewing mistress had never faced such a challenge before and after unpicking me, decided I should take up knitting for the rest of the year. I was appalling at that craft as well, and my scarf was never resolved as the teacher failed to show me how to cast off. Even now, I shudder at the thought of sewing buttons back on garments and leave that task to Michael. Or just go button-less.

Anyway, enough prattling. Please enjoy the photos of last week's Rose Show and Quilt Exhibition and mark the last weekend of October to attend in 2024.

 

 


 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment