Wednesday 31 May 2023

At Last...

There is, at last, cause for celebration. Having waited for five months, Alex's new plan has been approved by the NDIA. In fact, his plan arrived with the quietest of fanfare possible. I was only alerted to its existence by Alex's Plan Managers (the agency that pays the invoices submitted by Alex's service providers and therapists). Our Local Area Coordinator, Charmonique, was informed somewhat later, and given its significance, enthusiastic shouting from the rooftops would not have been out of place..

Alex's budget has been increased and wonder of wonders, we have secured more Support Coordination hours. If fact, the hours have been tripled. Having begged, cajoled, grovelled and pleaded for this increase, I had to read Alex's plan a number of times before the reality actually sunk in.

Easily the most rewarding part of this process has been becoming acquainted and collaborating with Charmonique. I had just about given up on the concept of Local Area Coordination, believing those employed in that role were about as useful as tits on a bull. In my humble opinion, the Mirrabooka Mission Australia office and the majority of their LACs need intensive and specific training, (such as resisting the urge to cut and paste) along with an explanation of showing empathy and learning to be inclusive rather than combative. 

I think Alex's transfer to the Subiaco Mission Australia office and the appointment of Charmonique as Alex's LAC has been a godsend. She involved me in the planning process from the moment we met. My words were including in the Plan Review submission. We held two meetings devoted to this task and then a meeting following the launch of Alex's Plan. She provided an easy-to-read breakdown of the Plan, with explicit information and meanings of the different funding and how that funding could be used. I can contact her directly through email and phone, which has been so very satisfactory and so unlike the silence, misinformation and hostility I experienced at the Mirrabooka office. I am now firmly part of Alex's team.

Ladies and gentlemen, I finally feel that my relationship with the NDIA is positive and meaningful. At last.

As a result, I have been playing "At Last" whilst I have been writing this post. Previously, I was only familiar with Etta James' 1960 version, her voice playing in my head as I began. Then, I have discovered that "At Last" was first performed in 1941 by Glenn Miller and his Orchestra. Having listened to his rendition, I can now say that I am a convert, loving the big band bluesy sound.  Do yourselves a favour and listen to both versions. I would be interested in others' thoughts.

I am hopeful that my growing understanding of the NDIS' operation and Charmonique's assistance will smooth any potential hiccups in the future. Being more certain of the principles, rules and guidelines of the NDIS has allowed me to be more confident and less adversarial. I actually believe that the NDIS can work to enhance Alex's life.

Knowledge is power, people. At last.

 

 Uncle Alex with Imogen - December 2019...

 
 Uncle Alex with Violet - March 2023...
 
 
Employee of the year 2022 @ Paraquad...
 
  
 
Very happy customer of the Lego Shop! 

 
Showing off his particularly cool haircut... 

 
Alex as the Man about Town...

 
With Pascal, his Support Worker to the Stars

 
Finally getting my head around the NDIA...


 
The terminology now actually makes sense ...  


 
Ever...

 
Accentuating the positives...
 
 
Glenn Miller - featuring "At Last"...

 
His music is timeless...

 
Miss Etta James - also, a great version...

 
For those who wish to play "At Last".

 








No comments:

Post a Comment