Tuesday 16 May 2023

About As Popular As A Dag At A Sheep Show...

Good morning, world! After yet another lengthy absence due to all sorts of impediments, I have vowed to get back in the saddle and finish this post, which I started eleven days ago.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the Australian vernacular, the origin of the phrase "about as popular as a dag at a sheep show" refers to the matted, dung encrusted wool that may hang from a sheep's rear end and not a welcome sight when judging sheep at an official show. Hence, to be described as a dag is a bit of an insult as one is not popular in any way, shape or form.

My own reckoning - feeling like that dag at a sheep show - finally arrived in the form of Covid19. The bastard first reared its ugly head as breathlessness whilst on a walk with the divine Jan George. I didn't pay any attention whatsoever to this symptom - I just thought I was really really unfit! Four days later, prior to meetings in the Big Smoke, I carried out a Covid test as I thought I was coming down with a cold. A negative result. Proceeding with that day at my usual manic pace, I was particularly exhausted by the time I returned home. Next morning, the awful truth was revealed. I had succumbed to coronavirus...

So, I followed the protocols. I reported my positive status and began isolating for five days. Our wonderful GP organised anti-viral medication for me, so I never moved beyond mild symptoms. Some of the fear I'd experienced about catching the virus was also relieved.

It never occurred to me that others might have a similar innate terror regarding Covid 19 until I returned to the Gallery to assist Michael. Wearing a mask, keeping my distance and declaring that I was Day 5 with a Covid infection caused a sizable number of guests to flee out the door. Others, interestingly, just shrugged their shoulders and continued browsing through the Gallery. 

Remember the days before Covid, when influenza was the illness to avoid? Even though we all knew that we could die from the 'flu, many of us were nowhere near as vigilant in protective behaviours. Influenza killed millions in 1918 - 19. HIV/AIDS was a more recent pandemic. Lyme Disease is rife in North America. Ebola and other hemorrhagic infections continue to cause havoc in Africa. Diseases that jump from certain animals to other animals to humans - Hendra virus, Nipah virus, Australian bat lyssavirus. None of these very scary diseases are new.

Yet, Coronavirus had to emerge, worldwide, as a reminder of the fragility of our bodies in the form of a new virus. And the disease confirmed that a virus was able to jump directly from animals to humans, and followed by human to human transmission. How did this occur? Our arrogance - the captivity of animals in close contact with humans, coinciding with the destruction of their natural habitat. When we remove these habitats, where do the displaced creatures go? Closer to us. And now we pay the price as diseases  are emerging for which we have no immunity.

I don't think I will ever be blase about illness again. I understand the reactions of others who shied away from any possible contact with me when I was Covid positive. The greatest puzzle is how Michael avoided catching the virus from me. He remains, to this day, Covid negative. Work that one out!

Enough musing about dags and viruses. Stay tuned for my next thrilling adventure!


 
All is well in my world!

 
Common sense? Seems to have become rather uncommon!

 
Who still uses Vicks? ME!

 
The ups and downs of the pandemic!

 
And of sheep.

 
Black (sheep) comedy...

 
There's a dag scale!

 
About as popular...as Coronavirus!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment