Thursday 23 June 2022

A Pot Of Family Fun Tempered By A Side Of Smugness...

I try never to wallow in life's misfortunes for very long. The NDIA brand of the Keystone Cops, will continue on their merry way, causing bureaucratic chaos and mental carnage for the foreseeable future. Yet, I know families who have nothing but praise for the NDIS and I am thrilled that the scheme is working for them. Pity that the rest of us feel like decisions are made by the toss of a coin, rather than through common sense and consultation.

I shall put my frustration with the NDIA aside for another day and report on far more pleasant topics. June is zooming past with more speed that I had thought possible. We started the month without that many commitments. Or so we thought.

Absolutely wrecked by our Winter Sundowner, we gratefully motored down to the Big Smoke on the following day to spend some R&R time with our very own MasterChef Callum, Super teacher to the Littlies and fabulous Mum Bronwyn and the divine grandchild, Miss Imogen Ivy. We also had to try and avoid the ministrations of the psycho cat, Ragnar, who is very much a One Woman (Bron) cat and takes great delight (still) in stalking Cal's ankles. Ragnar's expression has remarkable similarity to one of those stereotyped henchmen in Fu Manchu movies, with behaviour to match.

Delighted just to be in their orbits, Immy's capture of our hearts gets tighter every time we see her. Although slightly speech delayed due to her incessant ear infections, she is exceedingly vocal with Bron assisting as her personal translator. She is now recognising us as Nanny and Grampy and giving us hi fives. A natural performer, she will dance and sing if she thinks nobody is watching. She is a beautiful child, with Bron's strawberry blonde hair, but in curls, a cherub's face and an engaging personality. I am sure that her midnight chats are hereditary - as a toddler, Callum would often chat, sing and giggle to himself in the wee small hours. Our day and a half stay was a giddy series of fun episodes. All too soon, we were heading back past the hills.

The second week of June launched the scenario of my Very Sore Right Knee. Attempts to ignore it and wish that particular body part would just shut up and get better was a decided non-starter. Chiropractor to the Stars, Liam, was concerned about cysts and ligament tears. Our Epic Road Trip looming in just over five weeks, action was called for sooner rather than later. Time was of the essence if I wished to be fit enough to wear my new  Blue Steel hiking boots as planned from 16 July.

My first obstacle was getting a doctor's appointment to gain an X-ray and Ultrasound referrals. Previously very happy with our GP  Doctor Stephanie in Northam, the reality is that appointments with her are as scarce as hen's teeth. I managed  to secure a phone consultation with her other half, Doctor Richard, at the end of that second week.

However, he then refused to write my necessary referrals as I was not physically in the Patient Chair. He had no other alternative to offer, other than visit a GP in Beverley to receive the necessary paperwork. Michael and I were unimpressed at Richard's attitude, as he had previously voiced strong  opinions that we had partaken in "Doctor Shopping" for scripts and that "people like us" was the reason the NDIA was going broke. And that my word and that of our Chiropractor had no weight at all.

Fortunately, the day after, Doctor Andre at the local Vines medical centre saw me, listened to me and immediately wrote my X-ray and ultrasound forms. Plus, he started Michael on an Atom Bomb course of antibiotics to stop his upper respiratory infection taking hold in his dodgy lungs.

X-rays for my knee and His Majesty's neck and back were duly carried out, along with the ultrasound looking for soft tissue damage around my recalcitrant joint. Michael's hearing checkup rounded out a very busy Monday. Back in Doctor Andre's room two days later, a tear to my meniscus ligament and an associated cyst were noted.

Without hesitation, I arranged for my arthroscope to be carried out less than forty eight hours later.  With Michael's hip replacements next on the agenda, we will never drop our private health insurance. Pain is so not our friend.

We were also able to set up a lightning sleepover with Cal, Bron and Immy on Thursday evening so we didn't have to leave Beverley at half past four last Friday morning.  Instead, we were privy to another wonderful evening and have more sleep in suburban Perth than we would have had in our own beds. Immy, as usual, was far more entertaining than any reality TV show! Thank you very much, Cal and Bron for allowing two geriatrics to gate crash on a week night.

Having never been in the renovated Day Unit at the Mount Hospital, I was mightily impressed. Heated blankets appeared, admission was smooth, the nursing staff lovely and Mister Ben Kimberley and his team gave me excellent care. Floating into Cloud Cuckoo Land at half past ten, I was awake, dressed, watered and fed and out the door at two thirty.

My knee full of local anaesthetic, I felt invincible. Michael delivered Alex and I to the Perth Eye Hospital. I stayed with Alex until he was off with the fairies through sedation and returned for his discharge about an hour later. Now he had received treatment for Keratoconus (which cause conical corneas) in both his eyes, which should stop any further deterioration.

For any number of reasons, Alex had only spent limited time with Michael and me over the last few years. Now, he was under our roof from Friday evening until Monday afternoon. This allowed us to connect, to chat, to share and to just be comfortable in each other's company.

These turned out to be rather special days. Alex continues to be courteous and very well mannered. He is empathetic towards others. His sense of humour has somewhat matured. He is less combative towards me and I think I am far more tolerant of his personality.

Watching him interact with a Hillsong online church service took my breath away. There is plenty for me (as a questioning and critical parent) to be wary of this type of religious expression. However, the service was full of light and music and excitement. The leaders really seemed to be conversing directly with Alex and he responded with joy and enthusiasm. Now, I was able to see why Hillsong forms part of Alex's tribe and his life. As his Mum, I must respect his wishes.

This frenetic June has had differing consequences. The pace has, at times, been over the top. Michael and I have had various types of imaging to keep an eye on our arthritic joints. Michael has had a throat infection. I have been in quite severe pain post op. In fact, so much I have been ordered to rest for at least two days. I did too much. Again. When will I ever learn?

The upside? Time with our kids and Immy. Even Ragnar. Michael is proving himself to be a mesmerising cat whisperer and the ruddy Ragdoll has responded. I have also been overwhelmed by the messages, phone calls and visits by friends over the last few days. 

And then, of course, there is the constant of my beloved Michael.


Imogen - June 2022...


Cleaning her teeth with Blippi...


With Mummy...


With her rocking horse...



Ride a cock horse...


Always looking and learning...


Dance, Immy, dance!


With Mummy, Daddy and Nana - April 2022...


Last Friday after being treated for keratconus...


At Karrinyup's Lego shop...

Michael and Larissa with Stella on cleanup duties - June Sundowner 2022.




No comments:

Post a Comment