Friday 1 May 2020

In Spite Of Coronavirus, We Are Living Through A "Year Of Wonders"

Welcome to May Day. Another month has been ticked off in this remarkable year that is 2020. On New Year's Eve, Australia was arguing whether fireworks demonstrations were wise or prudent in that time of the bushfire catastrophe. The fires dominated the headlines throughout January. February brought much-anticipated rain and flooding to some drought-stricken communities. Then as March approached, the unthinkable was looming. A plague was rampaging across the world.

Fear was my overriding emotion during the early stages of the COVID 19 pandemic. As a response, we closed the East End Gallery on 8 March. Soon afterwards, the closures ramped up anyway. If I left the house, my face and hands were encased in mask and gloves. My daily vow was to keep the virus from entering our home and infecting Michael.

And so far, I have succeeded. My daily routine now includes aiming my trusty methylated spirit and water spray onto door knocks, cupboard handles, our phones, laptop keyboards, light switches and the controlling devices of the TV and the air conditioner. I still wash my hands with religious fervour. Kitchen surfaces are wiped with my disinfectant solution. Just to be sure, to be sure, to be sure...

We have just started our fifty-fourth day of lockdown. After the chaos beamed into our living rooms from Italy, Spain, England and the ongoing disaster in the United States, we are breathing easier as Australia's plague is becoming manageable. Western Australia has become an island within an island. With few new cases, I am slowly lessening my guard. Beverley locals are seeing my nose and mouth again after an extended period. The jokes at my appearance have ceased. I have to be much more aware of my foes once more, the flies, lest I engage in the dreadful experience that is fly swallowing. Mumbling to keep my mouth shut to battle the flying fiends is back on the agenda.

I am beginning to travel further afield. After weeks of being confined within the Wheatbelt, I am now a grateful recipient of a G2G Pass and am able to visit the kids in the Big Smoke.

I was fortunate enough to have an Immy fix. This enabled me to see Callum and Bronwyn as well. Cal and I shared Imogen bath duties whilst Bron attended a medical appointment. So enamoured with the splashing, we forgot to take any photographs of her with us. However, I did manage to snap the odd dozen images of Miss Immy so she is once more in up-to-date pictures for me to treasure and share.

Alex and I have reconnected in a big way. After a briefish visit to his unit last week, we set up yesterday for the commencement of Spring Cleaning. Alex loves order, but if disorder descends, he needs help to get back on track. Fortunately, he responds well to his bossy Mother and follows instructions very well indeed.

Under instructions, he'd tossed out foods that were beyond their use-by dates. First cab off the rank was my culling of his medications that were expired. In doing so, I reduced the amount of foil, empty packages and plastic lurking in his drawers and returned his bedside table to a tidy state. Old correspondence from his previous unit and other general rubbish were added to the chucking pile.

Venturing outside, I really noticed his garden for the very first time. Amongst the weeds, alive and dead, in some of the garden beds and paving, I discovered a tiny paradise tucked into the northwestern corner and sheltered by a wall. The previous tenant had obviously loved their garden. Two healthy lily pillies, rosemary and some smaller shrubs were actually doing well next to a pond that had long stood empty. I immediately engaged the little grey cells and came up with a Cunning Plan to return the neglect to easy prettiness.

Armed with a pair of scissors, a dustpan and brush and a watering can, I attacked a small area of his courtyard. I was very pleased with the result. Alex was thrilled and stood proudly in front of the restored garden bed. I have instructed him to purchase a hose, an outdoor soft broom and a pair of secateurs. Next time, I'll remember my gloves so I don't succumb to repeated stabbing by his yuccas.

At home, Michael has mounted his beloved saw blade on our outside wall. The gates now finished, add privacy and beauty at the back and clear spying vantage at the front. He is part-way through constructing an outdoor bench against the side fence to give him more storage for all his metal paraphernalia. I haven't seen him this enthusiastic about rejigging his collection and gaining more inside workspace ever.

Simple pleasures. The slowdown of our hectic lives. A chance to reassess what is important. These are the unexpected bonuses gifted to us by COVID 19. I am reminded about that other "Year of Wonders", a Plague Novel set in 1666. The protagonist and narrator, young widow Anna Frith, loses so much - her sons, her neighbours, her lodger and her friends. However, she also gains experience and learning, becoming a midwife and medicine woman, before leaving her village forever with her adopted and natural daughters. The epilogue places her in Oran in modern-day Algeria, where she has been taken under the wing of a Muslim doctor, who has added her to his wives in name only, so she may continue her medical studies and work with him.

I believe we may all come out of this pandemic somewhat differently. Hopefully, for the better and become kinder, more tolerant and less frantic. As for me, today is Frock-Up Friday, so I hope to be gorgeous by four o'clock just in time for drinks. Before that, I shall give my potted paradise a much-deserved seaweed drenching and catch up on a few chores around Station House.

Stay tuned. Stay safe.


Imogen - 23.4..2020


What a ham!


Getting ready for her afternoon sleep. Going...


Going...


Gone...


Meanwhile, at Alex's pad...


The first garden tidied in his courtyard...


The mounting of the saw blade...


Note the chair cushion for kneeling...


Still life of various crowbars...


A-pruning I will go...


The resplendent result...


Plus other bits and pieces...


The northeastern end of the courtyard...


The still-blooming frangipani...


The north and western ends...


As we all continue our personal Year of Wonders.





No comments:

Post a Comment