Friday 4 August 2017

Meanwhile in Monto...

Today was one of those ripping days. We had arrived in Monto late yesterday afternoon and settled into our cabin at Monto Caravan Park with a minimum of fuss. Hosts Peter and Lesley obviously run a great place to stay. Our cabin was meticulously clean, the grounds very pleasant, the location just off the main highway ideal and the park was continually busy with people coming and going. After about five minutes, we decided to extend our stopover to three nights.

Dinner at the Albert Hotel was value for money, very tasty and promptly produced at our table. A glass of vino, a pizza for Michael and a lamb shank for me was forty dollars. A bargain. Even better, the lamb shank special was two meals for the price of one, so I immediately had dinner for the following evening.

This morning was slow and relaxed. We didn't depart from our digs until close to noon. After checking out the local tourism information office, we decided to trek up to the Monal mining area. Due to the twists and turns in the road, we did not hurry. The scenery was spectacular - steep hills with equally deep valleys, several slightly damp causeway crossings, curious cattle and abundant birdlife. Kangaroos were spotted on the return journey. We took our time and finally arrived in Monal (circa 1850 or thereabouts) around two o'clock.

We were captivated. The machinery had been abandoned in very rugged country. Apparently, over fifty horses had been required to bring in the boiler. That discarded cylinder, along with the stamp head battery and other rusting paraphernalia lay dotted around on the steep slopes.

Out of Lily to begin photography. I climbed onto the top of the boiler and walked along to take photos. All was going swimmingly until I turned to retrace my steps and immediately fell down the hatch in the top of the boiler. Bollocks.

Naturally, I was hurt. Skinned right shin (bleeding of course) and grazed and bruised left thigh. The pain was thundering straight away. Michael helped me off the boiler so I could sit on the ledge in front of the stamp head battery. After a few minutes, I felt slightly less wobbly and made my way gently back to the car.

Michael continued to take photographs. We'd come all this way and I was damned if we were going to leave before he'd thoroughly enjoyed himself. Eventually, we turned Lily back towards Monto. An hour and a half later, we were driving into the Monto Hospital entry. As I'd cut myself on fairly ancient metal and I couldn't remember when I'd had my last tetanus injection, we decided to play it safe. Once more, my capacity for disaster had led me into a regional hospital.

The cheerful and efficient nurse Leanne, in the Emergency Department of Monto Hospital, saw to my injuries. She also arranged for me to have a tetanus booster at the adjoining medical centre. We waved goodbye to Leanne and Jen and hobbled across the carpark. Receptionist Pauline took my details and directed me to sit down. Then Doctor Vish (previously a practising GP in Northam) took us into his inner sanctum. We were amused. We had travelled to the other side of Australia to be treated by a doctor who had lived about seventy kilometres from our home in Beverley.

Some panadeine forte swallowed, my leg dressed, the tetanus injection stuck in my upper arm (with a suitable amount of swearing) and a script for more pain relief and we were out the door. We drove the short distance to our cabin and settled in for the duration.

An hour or so later, after a couple of vinos, I am feeling so much better. Off to bed very soon...



Childers - inside the Paragon Cinema.


Outside the Paragon cinema.


Typical Queenslander en route to Monto.


Mt Walsh  National Park, en route to Monto.



Monal mining centre - forty-five kilometres outside Monto.

















The defendant...


Having hobbled back to Lily.


Injury on show.


Curious cow.


late afternoon vista.


Bridge slightly the worse for wear, just outside Monto.

No comments:

Post a Comment