Tuesday 18 April 2017

Another Extraordinary East End Gallery Easter


What a surprise. Finding myself in the complaints line, again, for Centrelink has provided me with an unexpected opportunity to write this post. This is a far more useful and rewarding activity than wondering if my life will terminate before I reach the head of the queue.

I must admit that I am rather weary today. Michael has headed to the Big Smoke to begin the necessary distribution of his Dad's belongings with his sister and brother. We both felt that the siblings alone should decide the outcome of Lucky's personal and household items.

My failure to launch is wholly due to opening the East End Gallery for six days straight. Easter in Beverley is the beginning of our tourism season that runs until the hot weather makes its inevitable reappearance. We were delighted with the number of guests, their enthusiasm, their praise for the Gallery and their pleasant surprise of finding a Gallery such as ours in a regional town.

And we have welcomed new artists. The dynamic Paul Kendall, who has family in Cuballing, has gained the mantle of our third metal artist. Since he retired as an English teacher, he has decided to devote himself to creating pieces of art. And given his story telling and wordsmith abilities, he is tremendously entertaining as well. Due to my Dad's influence, I had felt that I had a reasonable grasp of English. Paul's vocabulary has put me firmly back in my place and reminded me to keep learning.

Sharon Ellis is another new artist from York. One-half of "Dark Sunshiny Days" Gallery, she and fellow artist Jane Gates have had to shut up shop due to financial constraints. We are delighted that Sharon has joined us and we hope to include some of Jane's pieces in the very near future. Sharon's art is at once scary, jaw-dropping and hilarious all at the same time.

Jan George has added some marvellous screen printed and linocut pieces to the Gallery to show more of her tremendous talent. Once more, our beautiful Gallery is bulging at the seams. We are even displaying one of Tim Burns' astounding paintings once more as he has yet to come and collect it from our store room.

Saturday evening was our Sundowner. These events are becoming traditional for us during most long weekends. A chance to enjoy a vino, a canape, music, company and of course our artists' efforts in a relaxed and unhurried way. Our next scheduled Sundowner falls at the beginning of June, so we will be adding an open fire to the mix. Ooh, did someone say "mulled wine"? Now there's a thought.

We finally threw out our last guests yesterday afternoon at five-thirty. Our last two groups were fortunate enough to partake of some vino as my feet had demanded pain relief and I was sipping a cheeky little Sem Sav Blanc. Exceedingly civilised.

Today and tomorrow are my days off. Vanessa has held the fort over the last week. Now I must endure the endless cacophony of washing and washing-up, of hanging out and bringing in clothes and keeping my eyes firmly on the Problem Child and the Delinquent Grand Old Dame.

Thursday back in the Gallery is looking decidedly more exciting.


Paul Kendall - "Heroes and Villains"


"Bat out of Hell"


"Fistic Des Pas Deux"


"Atlas", "Sysuphus" and "Still Life"


Sharon Ellis - "Nullarbor Sinkhole"


"The Gatekeeper"


"The Keeper"


"Winstan and Posey"


The Grand Old Dame and the Problem Child


Sun goddesses both


The Three Stooges on a well-earned break...

No comments:

Post a Comment