Monday 5 September 2016

IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY...NANANANANANANANA!

Yesterday was Michael's birthday. A bit different from his 60th last year when we had wall to wall people for the whole weekend. That was an event to remember. Michael had only been out of hospital for a couple of weeks after his last bout of bronchitis. By Sunday afternoon, he was shattered and retired to bed. Late that day, young Lawrence Jones arrived back in our lives and the two of them reminisced into the evening. The social event of 2015 finally came to a close and we spent several days afterwards recovering.

Another year, another birthday. That in itself was cause for celebration. After a horror chest infection, before winter had even begun, Michael  had come through relatively unscathed. And Spring really sprung just in time for his birthday. The clouds parted, the sun peeked out and the day warmed considerably more than any number of previous days.

 Michael also opened and expressed delight in all his presents - jellybeans, cashews, a 4WD magazine, a DVD, a Lotto ticket, a scratchie and a brand spanking new beard trimmer. Red of course. Red goes faster. Included in the package was a black plastic cape that reminded me of Mick Jagger's tongue. Ideal for summer flashing as well, if Michael ever chooses to partake in this activity.

The Gallery still beckoned me. I was late, a combination of sleeping in, failure to launch and still feeling miserable and husky with an ongoing cold. My birthday treat was to give Michael the day off. What was left of the morning and the early afternoon was brisk with plenty of visitors. And the newly filled Workshop was an absolute hit with our guests. Suddenly, twenty years of rusty metal had become a tourist attraction.

The Man of the Moment made an appearance with the Beagle from Hell. I nearly didn't recognise him. Dressed in fresh jeans and a lovely clean, colourful polo shirt, Michael looked like he had stepped straight out of the fashion pages. A delightful contrast to days of dirty hi vis shirts and grimy jeans. He bought me lunch, made me hot chocolate, entertained some of our guests and gave me a break. The only downside was that I felt like a rather round and rumpled country milkmaid next to his gorgeousness.

People through the door faded with the late afternoon light. An Executive Decision was called for. I shut up the Gallery early, exchanged my boots for walking shoes and set off for a walk. As I walked, the Three Stooges in tow, I shed layers of clothing, revelling in the evening glow.

Dinner at the Top Pub was a lively affair. Great company, good food, a warm dining room, excellent vino was enhanced by catching up with old friends. The generous and genial Brett Doughty shouted me a bottle of wine. An unexpected and lovely gesture.

Hometime, a quick computer session, and bed. For me at least. His Majesty stayed up, in fine form, the TV volume blaring, drinking more of his beloved vino, nicking the odd cigarette from Loic and Manon before he retired to our boudoir, suitably inebriated, cheerful and very loud.

But, hell, it was his birthday!


The Birthday Boy


Modelling his Mick Jagger cape



Sitting in glorious afternoon sun



What, you again?!



A Birthday Dinner with Manon, Loic and Michael.

3 comments:

  1. Ye Gods, John Rekman. Michael's just told me he hasn't seen you since the time of the dinosaurs (North Innaloo days!) I bet you've changed a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate and Michael Yes it has been a while. Actually the last time Michael and I caught up was 1976 at Rockingham. Michael called in on his Kawasaki Motor Bike and met my then Wife Glenda and new two month old son Aaron. Well time moves on doesn't it .... Aaron recentley turned 40 years of age and is Married to Tamara, they have 2 beautiful children Patrick (6) and Elizabeth (3). Aaron and Tamara are Directors of Azztek Kitchens in Mandurah they employ about 9 people in the Kitchen Fabrication Industry. We have another 3 Children a Boy Lee born 1977, a Boy Jay born 1979 and a Girl Asha..... all married now and all up I think last count there is an additional 6 Grand Kids !!! Glenda and I went our separate ways in 1988. She went back to Mandurah with the kids and I kept Travelling with the Engineering Construction Industry. Been working and living in Adelaide South Australia since 1993. Sort of got out of the Construction game in 2009 and bought a Skip Bin Business. So these days I drive a Skip Bin Truck delivering and picking up Skip Bins for Adelaide House Building Companies....... And No I haven't changed a bit.... "he types quickly". Love reading your blogs. Speak soon.

    ReplyDelete