Thursday 14 September 2023

Reminding Myself Of The Positive...Dealing (Robustly) With The Negative

The antics of our newly expanded family - Stella (who appears to have become an intellectual giant almost overnight), Lexi (who has two speeds - very active and crashed), Chop (who is slowly warmly to the idiotic puppy, but remains slightly aloof and often has an expression that he has smelt a nasty aroma) work to keep me amused and engaged. Laughing out loud has become a natural reaction in Station House. Chop outsmarting the dogs.The vivid white gnashing of teeth, accompanied by much growling and barking in Stella and Lexi's energetic play. Stella the teacher, Lexi the enthusiastic pupil and Chop the headmaster! 

And their affection and genuine caring are apparent. When I was struggling on Tuesday, I sat outside, Stella in my lap and Lexi the lunatic gently licking my hand. Michael, mentally exhausted after a traumatic phone call, asleep on our bed with his arm around Chop. They save our well-being on a daily basis, just by their presence.

Then there is Cal, thirty-four years of age with emotional intelligence which has been gifted to him his entire life. He is quick and logical, with an intellect that combines with compassion and understanding. He is slow to anger, but is no fool. His passions include Bron, my divine daughter-in-law, daughters Immy and Violet, ballroom dancing, teaching, and perhaps surprisingly, the Great Outdoors. He is attentive to Michael and me and younger brother, Alex. His friends are wide and varied. He is interested in all subjects. He has been one of my saviours over the last few weeks. I could not wish for a better son.

Support galore from friends local and far. Messages of love have flooded my Facebook page. Jan sitting with me today whilst I dealt with decrees that had to be fulfilled within thirty-six hours. Having us to dinner tonight as I felt incapable of cooking earlier in the day. Along with partner Greg, we enjoyed great food, wonderful company and that warm glow of acceptance.

And when I received the news that the NDIS had, once more, rejected our request for the funding of Alex's CPAP device, his Local Area Coordinator Charmonique emerged to assist out of my fog of utter disappointment. Calm, reasonable and proactive, she presented me with my options, promising to walk with me every step of the way. Having spent over two years totally discouraged by the NDIS, I now feel I have a guardian angel on my side.  

Of course, I also have my beloved Michael. My soul mate and best friend, protagonist and champion, he is my constant companion and cherished husband. He rides this roller-coaster with me, keeping me as safe and secure as possible. He is ever present and I thank the universe for him.

The legal matter than cannot be discussed, the arbitrary attitude of the NDIS and the subtle and not-so-subtle contempt that we endure from various quarters will not defeat us. Every Thursday, we open the East End Gallery through to Sunday. We promote and support over 100 artists. We delight in our guests. We revel in the opportunity to share our Gallery and our town. 

And we are not alone. Kelly Duncan, ceramicist around town, is quirky and cheeky, who has introduced her Artisan Space to encourage and engage with other artists. Mother and daughter Marion Luck and Rebecca Buglass (Luck) have their painting and jewellery studio. Kylie Alexis has fronted her wonderful frock and gift shop "Lucky Find", providing fashionable clothing and present items through the crisis that was COVID and continues to flourish, Mandy Evans runs eclectic and fabulous workshops in her Art Garden. The Station welcomes Artists in Residence and has a varied and busy season of all arts.

The Tapas Bar is nearing completion, as in the nearby deli. All shops in Beverley are either filled or being renovated in preparation for new enterprises. We are excited and energised. We have so much fulfillment in our lives that we can't become bogged down by negativity. Those who wish us ill-will will fail.

We will prevail.

 
Michael with Stella...

 
Laurel and Hardy...

 
The Headmaster...

 
Callum...

 
Bron with Imogen and Violet...

 
Alex...
 
 
 
Current Artist-in-Residence at the Station, Carolina Furque...

 
Rebecca Luck/Buglass - jeweller

 
Marion Luck - artist and Super Grandmother...

 
Mandy Evans...

 
Kylie Alexis, proprietor of Lucky Find...

 
Kelly Duncan, ceramicist and broccoli lover!

 
Best buddy and Gallery EXO, Ms Jan George...

 
Greg Burley, right with Michael and Brian Aylward.





No comments:

Post a Comment