Wednesday 23 November 2022

A Surreally Positive Day

 After a pretty dreadful time in September at the Mount Hospital, I was cautiously pessimistic. During Michael's first hip replacement, we had endured some indifferent nursing, unpleasant drug reactions, unexpected drug allergy, hallucinations, agitation and confusion over the length of our stay. His agitation actually came to a head after we'd returned home on the fourth day, along with heightened irritability and short term memory loss. Until we changed his pain relief from Palexia to Temgesic, we had a pretty torrid time at home for another few days. This is when I began researching the condition called Post Operative Delirium, which apparently up to seventy percent of patients can experience after surgery, particularly those over sixty years of age. 

My research into Post Operative Delirium led me to understand that this had caused Michael's distress. Other risk factors include being male, diabetic, anaemic, having had surgery, severe pain and being fluid deprived in the lead up to surgery. Michael had hit the jackpot, but somehow, like Voldemort, its name was not to be uttered.

I was determined not to travel this journey again, so I wrote to the Director of Nursing and received an  apologetic response. The anaethetist replied to me through phone and e-mail, promising changes to Michael's drug regime. Plus, after some testy moments, I convinced the Pre Admissions nurse that I wasn't just a "rude and irate" wife and that my complaints had merit and deserved recognition and attention. And our surgeon,  Mister Ben Kimberley gave me his support as well. I dared hope that our next experience at the Mount might be an improvement.

This morning did not begin well. Sitting in reception from six-thirty, we were not seen until after seven for admission by Slavica, who was also oblivious to my boarding status. However, the situation improved when she rang the ward and I was reassured that Karri was expecting me. The newish young and very tall ward delivery clerk was doing his best but he had yet to learn the many nuances of the role that had been so eloquently carried out by the previous Concierge Paul. Plus, he took us into a shared room that had obviously not been cleaned and had to dash to the desk for clarification. Upon arrival in another shared room, the orderly immediately arrived to collect Michael for theatre. Rose, his nurse and I broke into a sprint to finish Michael's documentation, shave him, gown him and bed him ready for Pre-op. Communication regarding order of theatre and admissions had not improved.

We had never seen pre-op so busy. The place reminded me of an assembly line. All theatres were operational and patients were being shipped in and out at a rate of knots. Nurses Anna, Lisa and Tim were responsive, the anaethetist Julie discussed with surgeon Ben about Michael's cocktail of drugs and she efficiently inserted his canula. By eight thirty, Michael was in theatre and I prepared to set up the room with all our belongings for the next four days.

The morning actually passed with no drama. I went for breakfast at Jacob's Larder next door before bringing in more luggage. Slavica came to my rescue as I struggled in with pillows, blankets, computer bag and drinks cold bag and helped me up to the ward. She also asked if we'd like the newspaper every morning, which was most appreciated. Later, post-op nurse Amy rang to say Michael was delayed in Recovery due to sleepiness and actually came to the ward to tell me personally.  Morning nurse Rose was very approachable and helpful, along with Afternoon nurse Elsa and student Amy. In fact, Elsa and Amy came to our rescue after dinner when Michael desperately needed his linen changed. So far, so good. What a pleasant change.

The only obvious disappointment was the standard of cleaning. Again. I was mightily impressed with an additional "trouble shooter" on the ward, whose job on Karri was to smooth out any patient's conniptions. As she removed dust and dust from a corner of our room, she remarked that Management had retrenched thirty staff, the majority of them cleaners. Therefore, cleaning outcomes were not going to improve in a hurry...

Having had surgery in the morning, Michael is alert and has eaten and drunk with no problems. He has had his first dose of pain relief and is relatively free of discomfort. That is a huge relief. And he has been prescribed some additional drugs to assist if he develops Post Operative Dementia. I had a quick chat with Ben at the nurses' station and physiotherapist Barney has been for his preliminary appointment with Michael. Today, I feel heard and supported. 

Long may this turn of events continue.


My darling husband, masquerading as a shepherd or an angel...



With a dodgy right hand...


Enjoying his lunch...


Sweaty and a bit uncomfortable with a block between his legs!


His sense of humour returned!


Feeling fresh and clean...


Comfort...


With his blanket made by his Grandma Lawrence


With his brand spanking new DVD player.


No comments:

Post a Comment