Tuesday 6 September 2022

The Bunyas - Awe, Beauty And Terror In One Location!

Less than two weeks ago, we scaled the giddy heights of the Bunya Mountains. A very long time ago, I had once visited them during a birthday party when I was about eight. Although I couldn't remember specifics, I do recall being amazed at the scenery. Of the birthday party itself, I have no recollections.

As I researched more, I was really looking forward to staying there. I knew the weather would be cold, so I had booked a motel room adjacent to the Bunyas Tavern. We set off from Woodford through picturesque farm country, before the mountain range rose sharply from the plains.

I was driving Romeo. Ascending took all my concentration. The gradient was very steep indeed and my gear changing ability was tested to the maximum. The Good News was that we were climbing quite slowly so I did have the opportunity to admire the rainforest, in between moments of sheer terror! 

The Bunya Mountains host the most westerly cool rainforest, along with the magnificent Bunya Pines, which are native to this small pocket of southern Queensland. As we approached the Bunya National Park, these extraordinary trees became more and more prevalent.

The view from the top was stunning. We stopped to take a breather and photograph the vista. Although the mid afternoon sun was very pleasant, coolness was beginning to creep into the equation so we resumed our positions in Romeo and drove the last few kilometres to the Bunyas' accommodation centre, gift shop, restaurant and...whisky bar!

I was not a fan of whisky before we stayed at the Bunyas and I don't think I like whisky much more after experiencing various brews up close and personal. However, what was most pleasant was the sensation of warmth than began in my throat and spread through my entire body as I sipped the various concoctions. I think I now understand why the Scots and Irish enjoy their whisky so very much. Whisky is the essential antidote to hypothermia!

Due to staff shortages, the restaurant seating was limited, but we were happy just to enjoy a "paddle" of whiskeys, which I followed up with a luscious tequila cocktail. Michael sampled a up-market bourbon, which he then polluted with coke. We sauntered back to our unit 6 and prepared a simple dinner from Romeo's not terribly extensive pantry.

There were some issues with our unit, which I attempted to have rectified. The Dimplex fire worked a treat, but the secondary oil column heater was a lemon. The frayed carpet between the kitchenette and the bed was a duty of care failure and an accident waiting to happen. The cold shower tap dripped incessantly and the telly, reset twice still couldn't pick up a signal. Now the units for two were only $130 a night, but I was mildly disappointed with these issues.

For example, why have a telly at all if the network is not up to scratch? We ended up agreeably satisfied with the beautiful location, the animal and bird life and the spectacular backdrop. We amused ourselves with the whisky bar, conversation and our laptops during the two evenings. There was also a separate day cafĂ© with served reasonable food and the view was breathtaking in the afternoon sun. 

There were a myriad of other houses for rent which could accommodate between two and twenty people. However, we really wanted to be close to the main "centre" so I could totter along the road on the edge of the forest. In that department, the motel units were ideal.

On a very local expedition, I discovered the Ranger's hut with fascinating tourist information panels and other displays. I discovered more of the history of this very special place and wiled away an hour or two whilst Michael succumbed to an afternoon nap.

I also rediscovered my inner child during the bird feeding, which was held every afternoon. The littlies were rather spooked by the feathered guests who were not at all backwards about coming forward and arguing with each other loudly and impolitely.

Also amusing were two male bush turkeys, both attempting to attract the attention of the ladies. One was obviously the alpha male, chasing the other contender onto the roof, through the walls and up every tree. Our hapless would-be suitor showed the courage of his convictions, running the gauntlet repeatedly in the pursuit of true love...

We left the mountains to head towards Toowoomba, our last stop before Brisbane. The Bunya Mountains were a treat for the senses and I am glad we experienced staying there. A childhood memory revisited.

PS Michael took charge of Romeo for the trip down to the plains. Being the passenger was a combination of exhilaration and terror as I viewed the fabulous scenery, hoping Romeo's brakes would last the distance! Of course, Romeo performed admirably and we descended safely.


Towards the Bunya Mountains...


Welcome to Blackbutt!


At Yarraman...











Going up!



These are Red's rellies!


Sculpture at Dandabah village...


Up close to Bunya Pines...





The rainforest...








Bourbon at the Whisky Bar!





One of the locals...


Bunya landscape...


Our wannabe lover...


Another local...


Escape route...


Strange bedfellows...


 Afternoon tea time.

No comments:

Post a Comment