Tuesday 9 March 2021

Bringing Up Babies...

"Bringing Up Baby" was a 1938 screwball comedy featuring Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, a tame leopard also doubling as a circus leopard, a dog named George and many implausible scenarios. Although the movie was initially received badly, television in the 1950s resurrected its status. 

We currently have three babies in our lives - two felines and one adored human. Yesterday I ventured to the Big Smoke to see my gorgeous grandbaby (and her parents). 

Firstly, though, I had set up a meeting with Alex's service providers at the Dome cafe in Midland. Rosa and Dylan were attentive, interested, empathetic, informative and honest. They were able to fill in some of the gaping gaps of my current understanding, took notes of our conversation and my outpourings of Alex's health and disability idiosyncrasies. They noted my concerns, offered meaningful advice and were grateful to finally receive a copy of Alex's NDIS agreement, a document they have been requesting from Mission Australia for quite some time.

In short, the outcome of this meeting was their comprehension of what I hoped a support worker's role would cover (and a chap is lined up after the departure of Pasquale). Specifically, gardening, organisation, budgeting, exercise, shopping. I discovered that the service provider can provide emergency financial relief once every three months. I requested a renewed focus on visiting the Beverley Hillbillies every month, so I can touch base with him and his support worker. Checking that his gym programme is suitable for his present needs. Looking forward to his review and feeling more confident with this new fangled system. Knowing I have choices. His support worker being aware of his social vulnerabilities.

My next Mission from God is to secure and have installed a reverse cycle airconditioner in his unit before the arrival of winter. Another reason to see Alex, so we can discuss contents insurance, which he needs in order to apply to the Housing Authority for improving his unit. Then, I plan to approach a benevolent organisation such as Rotary for financial assistance as a priority. Far back in my dim distant past, I was actually awarded a Paul Harris Fellow through the Karrinyup Rotary Club...

The meeting done and dusted, I moved into the leviathan that is Midland Gate shopping centre. I normally loathe any form of retail participation, but because I had a couple of hours to kill, I rather enjoyed myself. A pair of jeans and tee shirts for Michael, new bloomers for me, a sheet set on special that was not a dreary colour and a set of long-sleeved jumper suits for Immy. I even navigated the supermarket without a temper tantrum.  The check out chick was probably the same age as me and a bit on the ditzy side. If I'd been in a hurry, her flustered giggling would have annoyed me, but I just smiled back. The woman in the queue behind me was definitely grinding her teeth.

A quick stop at the growers' market for fruit and veg and I turned Lily north (not quite to Alaska). Arriving at Cal and Bron's just after four, Immy was up from her afternoon nap, Cal was relaxing after school and Bron had the washing hanger neatly full of little girl's clothes and paraphernalia. 

Imogen didn't even have to entertain us to capture my heart once more. Except, entertain, she did. Tearing around the family area with her pram or block tray, helpfully pulling down washing, annoying Ragnar the cat and getting bopped on her nose, gloriously enjoying her afternoon tea and blowing raspberries in tandem with me. What could be better than having my boobs investigated, my earrings inspected and being covered in toddler dribble and tinned apple? Bliss!

All too soon, I farewelled my beloved family. However, the kids gave me some fabulous gifts to take home to our feline babies, Chop and Suey; toys that Ragnar had disdained given he was now elder statesman material, having reached the great age of six. 

We have been the Boys' parents for just over a week. Both are demonstrating their very different characters day by day. Chop is adventurous but skittish. He has come out of his haven under our bed, looked straight at Stella and lifted his index claw in complete disrespect. His table manners also leave a great deal to be desired. However, he is not yet interested in touch and scampers away if we approach him. Whereas Suey can be held, stroked and possesses a very loud purr. He has also ventured out beyond our bedroom door and peered out at Michael watering the front pots through the window with keen interest. The hint of Stella sends him careering back to the safety of under our bed with his brother.

But, progress has been made. Within the safety of our bedroom, they play energetically, then retiring to recharge their batteries. The dogs are slowly becoming more used to them, barking less and watching more. We live in hope that they are inching closer to companionship. 

Only time will tell. 

Today has been all about catch-up. Mountains of washing. A thorough clean of the kitchen. Watering and the never-ending task of slowing the ant invasion, due to the unseasonably humid conditions. Tomorrow will involve some Gallery admin, more washing, a spot of ironing and watering. Then our Gallery week begins all over again on Thursday.

Stay tuned for the next exciting instalment!


Juice time!


Hi Nanny!


Look out, Nanny!


Ragnar is not amused...


Three-point turn...


Hmmm...


Snack time!


Immy's Mummy...


Immy's Daddy...


Do you have to go, Nanny?


Chop...


Suey.




No comments:

Post a Comment