Tuesday 22 September 2020

How To (Actively) Pursue Happiness...

2020 has been the weirdest of years. We began with devastating, history-defining fires after a prolonged drought, followed by flooding rains in some parts of this parched country. Then this sneaky little bastard named Coronavirus was introduced into our vocabulary and our lives. From March onwards, we were facing a terrifying unknown; a viral pandemic that had not been experienced worldwide since 1918. And that has been the status quo ever since. The numbers infected are mind-blowing; the deaths staggering. Everybody who has died was important to somebody else.

Our understanding of this beast is still scant. We don't have information about immunity; can we catch COVID 19 twice? Because this is a new disease, we are playing catch-up with the long-term effects. Is this a respiratory virus, a vascular virus, a systemic virus? Or a combination of all three? And how can the United States of America, considered a bonafide First World country be complacent about two hundred thousand people (200,000) dying? A former president launched The War on Terror after four thousand (4,000) people were murdered on 11 September 2001. Where is The War on Coronavirus?

There. I have had my rant on my soapbox. Throughout 2020, I have felt a myriad of different emotions other than happiness. I have been worried and fearful. I have been overwhelmed and angry. I have been accepting and submissive. All about the virus. Bollocks to all that. I am tired of this year controlling me. Time to unleash my inner idiot!

Happiness is an unusual commodity. From my personal experience, happiness doesn't often just magically appear. Happiness has to be sought. And for some of us, the hunt for sustained happiness in 2020 may have been a Bridge Too Far. Perhaps that is why we have seen some very un-happy people venting their collective spleens across the world.

Yesterday, I began pondering this idea of happiness. I laughed out loud at images of owls sleeping on their fronts. Apparently, this is a common owl trait. And obviously, at least one of my children is a reincarnated owl.

Today, I have noted that I will be going to jail for being a bad influence. Michael will be joining me as he is a worse influence. I have also shared a spelling gag, pinched from the irrepressible Suresh Rajan. I have giggled inanely at a question all of us have wanted to ask at some stage at a boring party - "What the hell is wrong with you?"

We watched Stella behaving like a complete knobhead careering around the furniture. We were soothed by Madam Cat's contented (for once) expression and the associated soft roar of her purring. Red the Pirate parrot has been cackling insanely. We are enjoying the bliss of a quiet day at home. This is what happiness is all about.

Happiness is not easily captured. Rather like the snitch in Quidditch, happiness may be lurking right next to us. As a confirmed lunatic with Major Depressive Disorder (why do I find the concept of disorder so delicious?!), I openly admit that have been times that I have become a humourless and very boring git. The good news is that once I recognise that I have become a humourless and very boring git, I start the process of clawing my way back to happiness. 

I have always much preferred laughing to crying. 

Don't get me wrong. I am not advocating that we are continuously happy. We're not. However, happiness can be a fabulous pressure valve that can be released to lighten our mood. Next time you see a bunch of owls sleeping on their stomachs with their legs sticking out, feel the warm blanket of happiness. Even for a second...

Jan with Seanne at last December's Sundowner, dancing like nobody was looking...


Hot day, ice in the wading pool - with John Kaye...


What the hell are you doing?!


Pip at the excellent Southern Cross dog park...


Stella at full flight at Cossack...


Ooh, I love a bit of cross stitch!


This would be me...


No explanation necessary...


Just remember to point the demon child's head backwards!


For one of those days...


Who hasn't did the victim of groaking/growking?


Good morning!


Try not to smile at this image of a baby owl sleeping...!








1 comment: