Sunday 26 July 2020

Are We Heading in the Right Direction? You Bet We Are!

Coronavirus has been responsible for many spanners in the works over the last six months. Initially, we were looking forward to an extended Northern Jaunt between May and mid-August, returning for the extravaganza of the Beverley Agricultural Show. Once COVID 19 began rampaging across the world, a May departure was becoming less and less likely. In a somewhat hysterical Anxiety Girl panic, I seriously toyed with the idea of leaving almost immediately in March and fleeing to what I hoped what be a virus-free sanctuary.

I was secretly and pathetically grateful when Western Australian Premier McGowan closed our state borders to just about everybody. The foolishly hasty decision of an early departure was taken out of my hands. The state borders remain shut and I wonder if the Premier ever has the urge to blow raspberries at the Eastern States, particularly due to the serious outbreak in Victoria, a smaller outbreak in NSW and nervousness in Queensland, whose Premier was calling us wimps for not letting all and sundry back into WA.

Anyway, I've digressed. Both an ill-considered and premature flight and our original May departure were both given the kibosh by COVID 19. Once intrastate borders were re-opened, we delightedly set another blast-off date for 19 July.

But fate intervened once more. Due to his high pain tolerance, Michael really didn't express the discomfort in his right wrist and hand until June. Four weeks before our latest  Dash for Winter Warmth, Michael underwent surgery to solve all the damage caused by arthritis and forty years of using his hands.

Which was a resounding almost success.  Three hand bones were successfully fused, however, the shortening of his ulna bone went utterly pear-shaped. The bone chose to split at the base of the plate, leading to four weeks of swelling and monstrous pain. Five days before we were due to leave, this catastrophe was discovered. Two days later, Michael was back in theatre.

We'd both come to the end of our tethers. Michael's post-operative recovery was a vast improvement on the previous episode. We decided to damn the torpedoes and leave on Friday 24 July, with me in the driver's seat.

Last week was a whirling dervish of post-op and splint appointments, squeezing in a frantic packing of the caravan. We gravitated between being quietly confident and totally disbelieving of leaving Heavenly Beverley. Red the Parrot was moved to Jan and Greg's house. Volunteers were locked in for the Gallery's continued operation, also led by my unsinkable offsider Jan. Madame Ruby the cat would enjoy a six-week respite from the Canine Clowns.

Having planned to leave Station House at High Noon, we eventually roared away at ten to two. I was nervous and apparently nearly came to grief on one of the first bends leading out of Beverley. That Michael was skilled at pulling Digger, and I was not, this led to some very cross words. We stopped in Northam to grab some quick takeaway and I nearly locked Lily's doors to leave him there.

I think my driving improved as we headed into the late afternoon. We eventually pulled into our first stop, Dalwallinu, just before six o'clock. I was exhausted. Fortunately, all we had to do was heat up Val Moad's pumpkin soup for dinner. Our first night in the caravan with the dogs was restless. And the morning was very brisk as I arose to toilet the dogs at seven-thirty.

Much to our relief, they had immediately reacted to caravanning with massive enthusiasm. I swear that Stella did not wee for about sixteen hours, given her joyful distractibility for any other odours. However, during the first two full days, we have not had any travel problems. Excellent.

We have continued to unwind gradually. I had not realised the strain of pulling the caravan. This new role has tested my endurance and concentration. I held my heart in my mouth as I passed two wide loads, praying we would not end up off the road. We have bickered due to our reversal of roles, but less often and with more humour. We have met Laurie and Merle from Albany on our first night, a couple from Busselton yesterday morning and a quartet of young people heading to and fro from Karijini.

The most glorious moment today was realising that I was sweating in my leggings and a long-sleeved tee-shirt. Tomorrow, I intend to don jeans and a short-sleeved shirt. And we are still three days from Marble Bar, our first lengthy stay.

A long shower is on my agenda this morning. Tonight we will be stopping for a free camp at Gascoyne River South. I am hatching a plan to introduce our World Famous fridge magnet, Magda to other unsuspecting campers...

Until next time!


Get your arm UP, Michael!


The cast going...


Going...


Gone.


The Steampunk Splint fitting...


Adding the hinge...


And the finished result, featuring Occupation Therapist to the Stars, Sandy Kevill.


First afternoon, enroute to Dalwallinu...










Good morning, Dalwallinu!





Last of the Wheatbelt...


Oncoming traffic!



Approaching Mt Gibson...





Murchison sky...


Being passed by a triple-trailer roadtrain...







Good morning Mt Magnet!


Lily and Digger in the well appointed and very clean Mt Magnet caravan park...


preparing for blast-off from Mt Magnet.







No comments:

Post a Comment