Friday 17 January 2020

A Reasonably Rewarding (And Entertaining) Start To 2020

Just over two weeks gone in January, and at last, my daily horror of bushfire coverage is easing and I am no longer glued to cyberspace for that reason alone. Not that I actually want to banish the chronic tragedy still unfolding. The only way to maintain the rage and push for effective measures to combat the drought and heat and fire is to keep viewing the reports and images for as long as it takes. Complacency and Mister Murdoch's media empire would have us lessen our focus. We must not dare.

On a brighter note, we have enjoyed grandparenting our delightful little grandbaby, Imogen. We have launched forth to the Big Smoke to stay with Callum and Bron and Immy and they have reciprocated, packing enough gear for a two-night stay that rivalled the supplies for an expeditionary force.

I was able to give them a proper break, albeit a short one. Out to dinner at the Freemasons Tavern on the first night and I cooked a casserole on the second. I took Callum's neglected feet In Hand and gave him two treatments that I considered to be as pampering as he'd receive in an expensive day spa. Not to miss an opportunity and so he wouldn't feel left out, I also gave Michael a scrub, soak and moisturise as well.

I am revelling in my Nanny Kate role and was properly poohed on during their last morning. I had forgotten that small breastfed babies can produce rumbling noises rivalling a major volcanic eruption and cover themselves and their caregivers in a torrent of "scrambled egg shit". Bliss!

After Imogen's wash and second change of clothes for the day, we waved our family goodbye and returned to more mundane matters. In the afternoon, I travelled with some trepidation to the Telstra shop at Midland Gate, one hundred or so kilometres down the Hill. I had tried - unsuccessfully - to download and print off the last detailed Telstra bill, so I would have a hard-copy reference for my tale of woe. I was told that my Telstra hotspot had no internet access. Oh, the irony...

The response - "just pop into your nearest Telstra shop" - when I attempt to solve a seemingly insurmountable issue would try the patience of a saint. Driving for ninety minutes and then waiting for a turn with the supposed Pooh-Bahs in the shop is often a particularly awful exercise and only to be undertaken with a cool head and a good book with an alcoholic chaser.

As I had come prepared, I waited for a surprisingly short period until I was summoned by staffer Suresh. I recited my well-worn complaints. Like a government razor gang, I slashed through unnecessary charges. A Platinum service that was supposed to guarantee an Australian voice. Never had. Gone. The NBN internet service that had caused us only problems and the use of an unsecured booster. Gone. A mailbox that I had never used. Gone.

Naturally, I had to spend money to save money. In order to change the hotspot's data capacity, I had to buy the unit at whatever price Telstra pulled out of their collective bottom. Then, I was able to increase the data usage to 100 GB a month for fifteen dollars less than 18 GB. Once we have dealt with this item's cost, we will be ninety dollars better off each month. I think we actually came out of these wranglings better than Telstra. However, time will tell.

This evening, I have begun the hunt for better commercial building insurance. Put through by our financial institution to an independent broker, he was squabbling with his SatNav in his car whilst trying to listen to me. The intermittent interruptions of "turn left here", "your destination is on the right" and "you have arrived" caused me to break into laughter as our hero tried to silence the annoying additional female voice present in his vehicle.

We hope that this will be a final saving to a budget in a state of flux. We are very keen on a monthly direct debit for the insurance, to avoid the truly dreadful bill shock we experienced in September. Perhaps, somebody in property insurance assumes anyone who owns a building can afford the highway robbery of rising insurance. That summation does not fit with our pensions. As 2020 rolled over, our Centrelink payments rose by about five dollars in total.

Even if a review only leads to a minor reduction, all savings help. We are determined that 2020 will not be as financially stressful as last year. Thus, we can plan for our winter safari.

And let's hope we start having real progress in bushfire mitigation measures before the coming spring.



Perhaps Mister Murdoch could return to the US permanently...


And take Scotty from Marketing with him!


We must never forget these images -











This little boy lost his Daddy to the bushfires...


Luckily for us, we have a little baby to love named Imogen...


Stella at home at Cal and Bron's!





Station House 13 - 15 January 2020...











Onto dealings with Telstra...






Looking for savings...



A necessary evil...


In order to plan our next Great Escape to the North West.





No comments:

Post a Comment