Tuesday 17 December 2019

When Michael Met Imogen...

The early unrelenting start to summer has taken its toll on us. Irritability has crept into all aspects of our conversations. We are both picky and cranky far more than usual. This evening, I admit my ill temper to the universe and I apologise to Michael. And I need to find one of those golden moments to lift my mood.

That has been surprisingly easy. I haven't posted for over a week. Most of my time has been taken up with preparation for our Christmas Sundowner which occurred last Saturday night. And the ongoing juggle with money. Some bills have thankfully been paid and I have been able to conduct a fairly low key gift procurement for my family.

So, I've conjured up our first interaction with Miss Imogen Ivy Hawes. Our grandbaby was born on 6 December to Callum and Bronwyn. Whilst I was very excited to become Nannie Kate, Michael was more subdued. He has been a grandfather to four children for a number of years. Through unfortunate circumstances, he has never met his grandchildren. I was hoping that this much-awaited grandbaby through marriage may provide him with some genuine happiness.

We travelled to Perth on Sunday afternoon, 8 December. Bronwyn was still in hospital after a long and difficult labour. Through their private health insurance, Callum had been able to board with her and share responsibilities looking after Imogen. They were in love and in awe of who they had produced.

I was delighted to take over a nappy change. Imogen was so tiny. Rather than looking upon her with slight trepidation, all my mothering skills roared back to life. I changed her, I held her and later, after she had been fed, I burped her.

Cal and Bron, in those first forty-eight hours of brand spanking new parenthood, were somewhat amazed at the ease both Michelle (Bron's Mum) and I handled Imogen. I assured them that they would gradually become as proficient as her grandmothers, particularly after they took her home.

Then, I placed her in Michael's arms. He looked at her. She looked at him and smiled with wind. That was all he needed. Michael held Imogen and fell in love. Finally, a baby to cherish for Grandpa Michael.

I am smiling as I remember that connection. We are travelling to the Big Smoke tomorrow to shop and pick up the powder-coated spiders and visit our beautiful granddaughter. Cal gets home from school at around three and Bron may need a nap by then.

No problem. If truth be told, we are only actually visiting to get a chance to see and hold and love Imogen. Much as we adore the kids, we now have a special little person to shower with love and attention.

Thank you to Callum and Bronwyn for giving us the gift of our grandbaby to both me and Grandpa Michael.


Nannie Kate in full flight


Big Uncle Al with his niece...






Grandpa Michael loving his grandbaby Imogen Ivy.






No comments:

Post a Comment