Thursday 26 September 2019

The Steampunk Event of the Year in Heavenly Beverley

Last Saturday, we were honoured to attend Gem and Adam's Steampunk Pizza Preception Party. We had never been to a Preception Party before. Gem and Adam, two utterly sensible young people, had decided to have a series of parties in Beverley and Perth before they marry this coming Sunday. Hence the idea of a preception rather than a reception.

As I had completely forgotten to notify our supporters of our absence from the Gallery for the party's duration, I snuck into the Gallery just before eleven o'clock to stick a notice on the door.  Clad in my passion-killing blue and white dressing gown, thermal undies and my ugg boots, I was surprised by local supporter Mike wishing to enter and see me in all my glory.

Beautiful...

Mike couldn't have cared less about what I was wearing. He had eyes only for "Bat Out Of Hell", Paul Kendall's masterful motorbike creation. Paul had won the Darlington art prize with his sculpture, made entirely from parts unrelated to a motorbike, and had been unable to convince any Perth galleries to show her. We had been delighted to welcome Paul, Norma and "Bat Out Of Hell" into the East End Gallery, as we had recently become a Motorcycle Friendly Venue...Of course, we needed a motorbike!

And at long last, Mike had chosen to layby this sculpture, in order to display her permanently in his study. Mike is thrilled. We are thrilled. And I have no doubt that all Paul's blood, sweat and tears will become insignificant when he enjoys the reward of his labour of love.

I have also proven that nobody looks at my appearance if they are in love with an artwork...

Onward to the Steampunk Pizza Party. What an occasion! Gem, who is a beautiful mix of a number of nationalities was resplendent in a multicoloured dress, made all the more striking by her multicoloured hair. Adam. who is not a short chap, was dressed in the loudest pair of trousers I have ever seen.

The catering was divine. A Kombi that doubled as a carrier of various kegs. A couple of blokes producing great food - canapes, pizza (naturally) and three different flavours of the best doughnuts I have ever eaten. Guests who really revelled in the Steampunk theme. Those boring gits who couldn't be bothered (but turned out to be great people in spite of their lack of imagination).

The wine flowed, the grounds were admired and the guests mingled. The tyre swing, unfortunately, malfunctioned halfway through the afternoon. The giant party games Connect 4 and Jenga were very popular. The almost bride and groom were justifiably jubilant.

I returned for a stint in the Gallery from four o'clock. I needn't have bothered. With only Jan for company, I could have remained at the party. And keep an eye on my beloved husband, who we all are aware is a boy in a man suit.

After a pre-evening nap, I waited for Michael to return home...And waited...And waited...I should have known better. I should have gone and collected him. When he eventually arrived home at nine-thirty, he was cheerfully rip-roaringly drunk. I still have no idea how he lurched his way to Station House without injury.

Gem filled me in later about some of  Michael's escapades. He'd had a high old time with some of the relatives and actually outlasted the bride and groom to be. A party to remember was definitely not by Michael.

Sunday was subdued. As we navigate the years just beyond middle age and before we become decrepit, we are often rudely reminded that we are not as young as we once were. But hell, in spite of the sometimes unpleasant consequences, life continues to be an adventure.

Before dementia...


Dressing gowns are the answer to life, the universe and everything...


"Bat Out Of Hell" and passenger...


The somewhat eccentric creator, Paul Kendall...


Meanwhile, at the Steampunk Party of the Century...


The bride and some interesting guests...


Hmmm...





Connect 4 ponderings...








THE GROOM...


With the bride and Dastardly (Mister Greg Burley)...


My alter ego...





Pixie on a swing...


Adventurer just returned from Africa...


Greg...


Jan...


The bride and groom.




1 comment: